education study

I'm not sure you need "more advanced" protocols to have an improvement in Pt. outcomes. I think better education would lead to better understanding of, and better adherence to, whatever protocols you already had. It would also allow the medic to think outside the box, and to know when there aren't any protocols that cover your given situation.

I think a couple of posters have basically been saying that there would not be a big enough sample size to make a significant study possible, but when you think of how many medics there are in just 1 or 2 states( I'm going to look into this soon) that mandate degreed medics, I think you have a pretty large amount of patients. Or am I wrong about this?

I think a couple of posters have basically been saying that there would not be a big enough sample size to make a significant study possible, but when you think of how many medics there are in just 1 or 2 states( I'm going to look into this soon) that mandate degreed medics, I think you have a pretty large amount of patients. Or am I wrong about this?

Look up the state of Oregon. See how many Paramedics they have. Contact their EMS office and see what studies were presented as pro-education.

You can look at the studies done in other countries. It is not that difficult to ask their EMS offices with a formal request in writing.

Do some legitimate research if it really bothers you that much.

You can also look at the many other healthcare professions that have documented patient outcomes and patient benefits by their increased education. The goverment and insuring agencies actually keep the stats on improved patient outcomes by increased professional education for some professions after the potential for money saved in healthcare costs was mentioned.

Edited by VentMedic

OPALS Study Fails to Demonstrate Advanced Life Support in Field Better

than Basic Support (April 22 CMAJ)

Advanced Life Support in Field Not Beneficial in Trauma Cases

(April 22 CMAJ - Interview with Dr. Ian Stiell)

Videos ---> http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/178/9/1141/DC3?ck=nck

Full text article ---> http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/178/9/1141?ck=nck

OPALS Study Fails to Demonstrate Advanced Life Support in Field Better

than Basic Support (April 22 CMAJ)

Advanced Life Support in Field Not Beneficial in Trauma Cases

(April 22 CMAJ - Interview with Dr. Ian Stiell)

Videos ---> http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/178/9/1141/DC3?ck=nck

Full text article ---> http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/178/9/1141?ck=nck

For the U.S., this is a misleading study.

1. Its focus was on trauma.

2. The BLS level in this study had more education then many of the U.S. Paramedics.

3. The concepts studied should already have been evident for anyone with education of at least that length or as long as the "minimum" education for the U.S. Paramedic. Those that don't understand the theories and concepts emphasized in the study make the case for increased education...not less.

For the U.S., this is a misleading study.

1. Its focus was on trauma.

2. The BLS level in this study had more education then many of the U.S. Paramedics.

3. The concepts studied should already have been evident for anyone with education of at least that length or as long as the "minimum" education for the U.S. Paramedic. Those that don't understand the theories and concepts emphasized in the study make the case for increased education...not less.

I fully agree with you, just thought this is what the original poster was looking for.

Also to add to your last point, not just increased education but also a change in idealism in regards to what is "common pratice" vs. "intellectual practice", "the bigger picture"....not just individual skill based concentration.

To me, ALS is not exactly equal to "more education". You can have an ALS medic that went through a 6 month medic mill, or you could have an EMT that also has a masters degree. That's what I mean by more education. I am familiar with the OPALS study, and none of it's conclusions should really come as a suprse to anyone. Trauma is not really an area where ALS can make alot of difference, at least not right now. I was looking for a study that compared medics with degrees with medics that don't have degrees, and if there were any differences in patient outcomes. I got some good suggestions here, and I will follow up on them.

To me, ALS is not exactly equal to "more education". You can have an ALS medic that went through a 6 month medic mill, or you could have an EMT that also has a masters degree. That's what I mean by more education. I am familiar with the OPALS study, and none of it's conclusions should really come as a suprse to anyone. Trauma is not really an area where ALS can make alot of difference, at least not right now. I was looking for a study that compared medics with degrees with medics that don't have degrees, and if there were any differences in patient outcomes. I got some good suggestions here, and I will follow up on them.

You don't need a study to answer that. Until medical directors change protocols and not fear any liability patient outcomes will stay the norm. I mean really we can't do a whole lot out in the field compared to hospital services and for very critical patients thatt is where they need to be, not with some medic who thinks he knows it all.

Nurses follow protocols that their attendings create, and follow orders, much the same as paramedics. Here are 2 studies I found that show that higher educated nurses(following the same protocols and orders as their less-educated coworkers) have a positive impact on patient outcomes. And this is only after a 3 minute google search. So you can't blame medical directors and their unwillingness to change protocols, we have to look in the mirror and ask why paramedics as a group are not demanding higher minimun education standards. Until we do, we will always be looked upon as uneducated ambulance drivers.

It's my assertion that, even when given exactly the same protocols to follow, more highly educated medics will have more critical thinking ability, and make better decisions, than their less educated counterparts. That's what the evidence says about nurses, why would it be any different for medics?

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/290/12/1617

http://news.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news...y-shows-8610-1/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.