Pre-eclampsia

FL_Medic

I'll be waiting for the protocol to come out Adam, I know you do great job keeping abreast of what's out there. I'm just a little weary in that I think we're getting a little too big for our britches.

Your right about the medical direction. I've called them about 3-4 times since I've credentialed.... I'm not afraid to ask or use the radio. It is amazing how too many people here have too much pride to admit they need help.

Edited by Niftymedi911

This is our protocol

Eclampsia

1. Magnesium Sulfate infusion 2 Grams no faster than 1Gram/min. Mix 4cc of 50% Magnesium

Sulfate and 100cc Normal Saline in a Volutrol (60 gtts set) and infuse wide open rate. May repeat once

if seizure is still present. Monitor patellar reflexes for Magnesium toxicity and discontinue if they

appear.

a. Bend the patient’s leg to a 90° angle and tap on the patellar reflex. If the patient’s reflex

causes the leg to continually bounce, discontinue the Magnesium Sulfate infusion.

Just to clarify. The post almost certainly meant "discontinue if they disappear". Magnesium acts to relax smooth muscle and depresses the CNS, hence why its liked for Pre-E/E as it treats two of the problems at once.

I'll be waiting for the protocol to come out Adam, I know you do great job keeping abreast of what's out there. I'm just a little weary in that I think we're getting a little too big for our britches.

Your right about the medical direction. I've called them about 3-4 times since I've credentialed.... I'm not afraid to ask or use the radio. It is amazing how too many people here have too much pride to admit they need help.

By too big, do you mean personnel wise, or protocol? Tuttle always says we have to cater to the bottom 1%, I think that's crap. The only way to beat this logic is to educate so our bottom 1% is still made up of damn fine medics. Unfortunately, that is easier said than done. You see who attends inservice training, who probably reads or looks things up on off time, and who would be apt to ask a question. I have gotten more slack with the success I have had, and the extra work I do from our coworkers, than praise. No one likes an over achiever I guess, but I don't think we should crap on those that decide to be educated. Sorry, kinda getting off topic...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.