EZ IO vs Bone Injection Gun (B.I.G.)

fireflymedic

I know most in here are familiar with the EZ IO, but I wonder how many out there are using the bone injection gun (BIG) and how they think they compare to the EZ IO. Any particular difficulties you have experienced with them (such as easier to bend stylet, harder to insert, etc)? Any benefits you've found over the EZ IO? Just looking for some info as I'm not as familiar with them as most every service I know either carries the old style IO still, or they EZ, so anything is appreciated. Thanks !

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EZ IO is best bet. One services has both and we almost only use EZ IO.

In fact you can place an EZ IO on an awake patient with about the same pain of an IV. With the B.I.G. you better have patient secured or they will come off the cot. Also with the BIG I have seen people not put enough pressure so they do not penetrate the bone.

EZ IO is best bet. One services has both and we almost only use EZ IO.

In fact you can place an EZ IO on an awake patient with about the same pain of an IV. With the B.I.G. you better have patient secured or they will come off the cot. Also with the BIG I have seen people not put enough pressure so they do not penetrate the bone.

I agree 100%. I've seen more complication errors with the BIG (usually the operator) and better success generally with the EZ.

I agree 100%. I've seen more complication errors with the BIG (usually the operator)...

Including the ever-popular injecting your own hand instead of the patient. :o

Yep, in my very limited experience I have seen it, so I'm betting it's happened more than once.

I'll pass on the BIG.

What is the cost difference?

I'm thinking start up is going to be more for the EZ as you have to buy a bunch of drills. Assuming the needles are cheaper than a BIG, how many EZ insertions would one have to do in order to have saved money over the BIG?

I know it isn't all about whats cheapest, but lets be honest... it factors in.

What is the cost difference?

I'm thinking start up is going to be more for the EZ as you have to buy a bunch of drills. Assuming the needles are cheaper than a BIG, how many EZ insertions would one have to do in order to have saved money over the BIG?

I know it isn't all about whats cheapest, but lets be honest... it factors in.

Actually a BIG and replacement needles for the EZ IO are about the same, EZ IO maybe higher, so you will never recoup cost of start up. But you will have less chance of failure so might recoup in not as many failures by improperly used BIGs.

Actually a BIG and replacement needles for the EZ IO are about the same, EZ IO maybe higher, so you will never recoup cost of start up. But you will have less chance of failure so might recoup in not as many failures by improperly used BIGs.

Ok so initial startup cost greater but not for ongoing operation. Except when you consider that EACH BIG is a stand alone device so it is much more versatile in that regard.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.