One-Sided: EMTs Should Not Make Assumptions

CBEMT

Her description of the way EMTs treated the bystanders is interesting. How do you guys deal with looky-loos? as far as i am concerned, they are in the way and preventing me from doing my job. We all know that a few seconds here or there can change a patients outcome, so i really dont care if i hurt your feelings when i yelled at you to move. figure you have to get to the patient, asses, make a transport descision on packageing, go back and get your mode of extraction, go back and package, then go to the rig, thats 4 times your having to push past these ghouls and not many people in my area have time for them when a patients having a diabetic seizure.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her description of the way EMTs treated the bystanders is interesting. How do you guys deal with looky-loos? as far as i am concerned, they are in the way and preventing me from doing my job. We all know that a few seconds here or there can change a patients outcome, so i really dont care if i hurt your feelings when i yelled at you to move. figure you have to get to the patient, asses, make a transport descision on packageing, go back and get your mode of extraction, go back and package, then go to the rig, thats 4 times your having to push past these ghouls and not many people in my area have time for them when a patients having a diabetic seizure.

I want to say I don't see a problem with yelling at the rubberneckers, but if you think about it you almost have to. Being disrespectful isn't my concern here. They are the ones being disrespectful blocking access to a pt. Especially one they couldn't be bother to even attempt to aid, even if that just meant the comfort of someone being there and being friendly.

That, being said, it seems to me that it could easily turn that crowd hostile, creating a dangerous situation for you and possibly making it impossible to render aid. Just my thoughts and I could be wrong. We were taught to give them a job, like holding the rest of the crowd back or holding up a sheet for privacy. That way they (hopefully) become more interested in each other than what you are doing. And a little niceness can go a long way getting people to comply with what you want. I'm not saying don't raise your voice to be heard. Simply that it may be wise to be mindful of the words you shout.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.