One-Sided: EMTs Should Not Make Assumptions

CBEMT

I was riding the Brooklyn-bound 2 train during evening rush hour when suddenly a man sitting across from me collapsed onto the woman next to him. The man was white, mid-forty-ish, with oily hair and lines of black under his fingernails and in the crevices of his hands. His jeans and jacket bore caked dirt and his pants were very worn. He may well have been homeless.

Of course people often fall asleep on the subway, and their head ends up on the next person's shoulder. But they usually wake up, embarrassed and apologetic. This man didn't budge. And I remembered him appearing fairly alert; when I boarded he'd made eye contact with me.

The woman next to him tried to inch away. When his body trailed hers as she went, she tapped his shoulder. When he still didn't move, she took both hands and tried to push him upright. When she let go, he lurched slightly left, then fell forward, straight to the floor, crashing head first into the metal gear box under the seats.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tonya-plank/...t_b_165577.html

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I hated the little I saw in my brief foray into the ambulance world.

It's ok to harass a drug seeker (who is sick for another reason) simply because they're a druggie. It's ok to be crude and nasty to drunks. Empathy is reserved for small children, non-minorities and middle class looking white folks... not developmentally disabled people who don't know any better than to call 911...

I think this is why I am reluctant to pick myself up and try again. The first service I worked at wasn't a good fit for me (and now that I've got some distance from it, I'm thanking my supers profusely for prodding me to take some time away and try again later.) After having done wilderness EMT stuff for years, I'm now questioning as to whether I belong in prehospital EMS. Once I got a taste of the ambulance...

Let's just say I'm still kind of soured on it. Nursing school is where my focus is right now.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Meh, who knows the real story. I am not sure how this author a self described "attorney" assumed the providers made any assumptions based on the patients general appearance. In addition, the author was basically standing there gawking while the EMT's were no doubt attempting to access the patient. I am not sure what this person was expecting. Some health care miracle like the movies perhaps? Like the war movies she watched where people received morphine for their war wounds? Obviously, this person, like many people of the general public has no clue how health care works.

This does emphasize the fact that people's (health care providers) behavior and communication techniques can leave a lasting impression on other individuals.

Oh, and I love the nurses jamming a nail file into the patients mouth. They get extra points for style from me.

Take care,

chbare.

That was so sad. I'm really new to the ems world but I can't imagine any of the emt's I've met acting like that. I don't know if it's because we have a mostly volunteer service or a difference in the community or something else. I just can't imagine it happening.

Oh, and I love the nurses jamming a nail file into the patients mouth. They get extra points for style from me.

Take care,

chbare.

Where do they get the nail files? Hospitals can't even get nail clippers for the patients.

Anyway, trying to justify the actions of a few bad apples by taking a swing at another entire profession doesn't make it okay.

Regardless of what is right or wrong about this article, it just shows that the public does pay attention to EMT(P)s on a scene. How the EMT(P)s choose to conduct themselves while in public view can make an impression. Even though it might be difficult under adverse conditions, one should conduct themselves as professionally as possible. Unfortunately, it will usually be the loud mouth burnt out obnoxious EMT(P)s that are the most noticeable.

It is hard to say from this story if they truly acted poorly or unprofessionally. It is possible the providers were truly unprofessional; however, people can interpret things in many different ways, especially people who lack formal medical education.

For example, I worked with a nurse who was an absolute cool customer in emergencies. We had a critical patient, and he calmly assessed the situation and started managing the airway. Throughout the process, he was calm, collected, and provided excellent patient care.

Unfortunately, somebody in another bed herd the event. Obviously, the beds were separated by a curtain. This person and their family went on to complain. While this nurse was nothing but professional and in control of a bad situation, the other people complained stating that the said nurse did not sound "excited" or "stressed." The people complaining said this person was unprofessional because they "should have been more excited and anxious" during the situation.

Again, people on different sides of an emergency can interpret actions and statements in very different ways.

Take care,

chbare.

Where do they get the nail files? Hospitals can't even get nail clippers for the patients.

Anyway, trying to justify the actions of a few bad apples by taking a swing at another entire profession doesn't make it okay.

Regardless of what is right or wrong about this article, it just shows that the public does pay attention to EMT(P)s on a scene. How the EMT(P)s choose to conduct themselves while in public view can make an impression. Even though it might be difficult under adverse conditions, one should conduct themselves as professionally as possible. Unfortunately, it will usually be the loud mouth burnt out obnoxious EMT(P)s that are the most noticeable.

One of the "nurses" took the nail file from a bystander.

Agree with your point. It is important to present your self professionally. In addition, you may say something or act in a way you consider appropriate; however, somebody else could interpret the statement or action differently. However I agree that we must try to present ourselves as professionally as possible.

Take care,

chbare.

Wow the nurse lacerated his tongue with the nail file. She stabbed him thats the only way blood could be there.

See how easy it is to draw conclusions. All we have are one persons interpetations. There have been multiple studies proving eye witnesses are extremely unreliable.

Who knows. Again, these people claimed to be nurses. In addition, it is unclear if they in fact caused the bleeding.

Take care,

chbare.

Exactly just as it is unclear if these EMT's sucked or were actually doing the job right. Them seeming rude may have been them trying to get people out of the way so they could treat the patient. This eye witness is unreliable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.