Hiring ME with a questionable history?!?!?

funkytomtom

So I'm 21 years old, taking my emtb and currently scoring the highest in the class (not to toot my own horn, well...maybe just a little). All is going well, and I think at least for the time being, ems is what I want to do with my life. There is still an issue though. About three years ago I got pulled over and was .01 over the limit (which was actually irrelevant anyways because of my age at the time). I already know that two of the local ambulance services won't hire me, at least for a couple of years. I'm doing all I can to look good and desirable as an employee, I volunteer for the red cross once a week, am going to help teach cpr, and am doing well in my class. Any suggestions or ideas? I might look at working in the ER, but really would prefer the trucks. Thanks-Tom

haha thanks for the link, that was kind of a shit show... It answers many of my questions, but I still would be interested if anyone had any helpful information, like other good ways to get experience while I'm waiting to be eligible for hire, or other ways to make myself a desirable hire. After reading that other forum, however, I have to say that I don't really want to hear comments on why I shouldn't be in ems, or why I am a bad person. B)

Hey there,

Everybody makes mistakes. I think you are doing the smart thing by just laying low for the time being. Perhaps a service a little farther out may be willing to take a chance on you after graduation? I'm not sure of the hiring situation in your area, but it might be worth looking into. ER alot of times is harder to get hired onto, at least here because the hours and pay are better. Keep your head up though, do con ed, ask if you can do some volunteer ride time with a service to kinda prove yourself to a service if possible once certed. Get involved with a rescue squad if possible. Then use that to develop a professional rapport with the EMS profession. Get a good reputation as one willing to learn and sharp on their feet and send in a letter of reference with your application and that may help your cause for sure.

In general, I've found that alot of employers given enough time and proving of yourself that it was a one time occurrance, and not a frequent issue, they will be willing to give you a chance. Just be patient, hang in there, and keep learning and most important dont do anything else dumb ! General rule for most services is either three or five years until they will dismiss it. Some transport services may hire you, but not allow you to drive, so that is something else to discuss. Best wishes.

• 1 year later...

Pass the registry exam before you worry about stuff like this,is my advice.

Good point! All the 'I want to do this for the rest of my life!' won't amount to a hill of beans if you can't pass the National Registry (or whatever state licensing test your state requires).

While there is no set 'time frame' that employers and insurance companies check driving records for (some only go back 3 years and some go back as far as 10), the best thing you can do while you're waiting for it to 'fall off' your driving record, is to continue your education and get your degree.

Doing this probably won't mitigate your DUI/DWI conviction, it MIGHT make you a little more 'marketable'.

Remember, even those at the 'top of the class' have fallen victim to the state licensing testing.

Check with your State Department of Health (or whoever regulates EMS licensing) to make sure you're even able to be licensed with this on your record. This too negates the whole "this is what I want to do with the rest of my life" statement.

If your conviction was a 'felony level conviction', you may be looking at problems getting your NREMT card, not to mention your state license.

Good point! All the 'I want to do this for the rest of my life!' won't amount to a hill of beans if you can't pass the National Registry (or whatever state licensing test your state requires).

While there is no set 'time frame' that employers and insurance companies check driving records for (some only go back 3 years and some go back as far as 10), the best thing you can do while you're waiting for it to 'fall off' your driving record, is to continue your education and get your degree.

Doing this probably won't mitigate your DUI/DWI conviction, it MIGHT make you a little more 'marketable'.

Remember, even those at the 'top of the class' have fallen victim to the state licensing testing.

Check with your State Department of Health (or whoever regulates EMS licensing) to make sure you're even able to be licensed with this on your record. This too negates the whole "this is what I want to do with the rest of my life" statement.

If your conviction was a 'felony level conviction', you may be looking at problems getting your NREMT card, not to mention your state license.

I was sort of surprised to see this thread resurrected. And amused. Kind of funny all that's happened in my life since that post.

Anyways, I am now working as an Utah EMTI and have my NREMT testing scheduled for next week. I ended up looking outside of my area to find employment, so there is somewhat of a commute involved, but I'm loving it. I'm thinking the experience will really help if I want to work closer to home. Thanks for the tips though and stay safe out there!

I've REALLY got to start looking at the dates on some of these threads!

With the recent trend to 'resurect' dead threads, I really think that giving advice to someone a year or more later is pointless......