Prolapsed Uterus question

a woman with a prolapsed uterus after childbirth will bleed to death... we were taught in paramedic school to push it back in.....

As you should be.

The woman can certainly bleed heavily. If the hemorrhage is present, you need to push back in with a fist and use the "bi-manual pressure" of putting pressure to the abdomen with the opposite hand. Gentle, steady manual pressure to stop or slow the hemorrhage. If the uterus is prolapsed, subinvolution could certainly be a problem, and this pressure technique will certainly be helpful. I am told you can feel the uterus start to contract around the fist at this point.. :shock:

This I know is not taught often, but it may save your patient. Some of these hemorrhages are very heavy and can be life threatening.

I learned this from a midwife. If midwives are available to instruct during the OB/GYN modules, maybe this would be a valid option. Many techniques they use may be valuable in the field, as they spend a fair amount of time out of the hospital delivering babes..

Some of these issues may be prepared for depending on the Gravidity (certainly term pregnancies) of the mother, and previous history of problems. As Gravidity increases, the chances of uterine prolapse, subinvolution, or hemorrhage in general increases..Or so I am told..

Just a thought. :wink:

Note:By hemorrhage I mean extremely heavy bleeding with or without possible subinvolution, not normal bleeding from placental separation or birth in general...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.