Questions about courses and the NREMT

Red_Dragon

Hi everyone!!!

First of all I would like to thank you for actually checking this thread and reading what I have to say and ask. Also I hope this is the correct thread. I will try and keep things organized so the questions are easily answered. First of all I had a mini dilemma with if I wanted to do a ROP program or do the Community College course. I decided on the Community College, because of my work schedules. Well here are the questions i have...

1. I searched the AHA "American Heart Association" website and i haven't found anything about pricing for the CPR card...

I already have the "Fundamentals of BLS for Healthcare Professionals" book. So does anyone know if the AHA CPR course costs anything?

2. I read the NREMT "National Registy of Emergency Medical Technicians" exam requirements and it said "Successful completion of the EMT-Basic cognitive exam that tests your ability to safely and effectively perform emergency patient care.

and Successful completion of a state-approved EMT-Basic psychomotor exam." What exams are those? oh and this is for the EMT-Basic Certification.

Well actually that's pretty much all the questions I have so far, Thank you in advance...

- Red Dragon

Welcome aboard, Red.

1. It depends on who is running the class. Some places charge. Some places do not charge. Most do, but it's not that much. Seems like AHA may even limit what you can charge, although I cannot recall for sure, as it's been awhile since I taught for them.

2. Those are basically the so-called "skills tests" where they check your competency in the basic EMT motor skills like bandaging and splinting, oxygen administration, etc... It's usually only one test counting for both the state and NR requirement, not separate tests.

Choice of an EMT school is not particularly important. Whatever is most convenient to you is fine. It's just a silly first aid course, not rocket surgery. But when it comes time to choose a paramedic school, the decision process is crucial, so don't make that choice without a lot of research and input.

By the way, even with thirty-five years in EMS, I have no idea what "ROP" means. Can you clarify that for us?

Good luck!

The AHA Healthcare Provider Course (Professional CPR) is typically $25-35. The NREMT-B exam is a computer based test, taken after the practicals. The practicals basically are set up like this: they give a scenario and a given task for you to accomplish-IE get an airway, assess a medical or trauma patient, or splint a long bone injury. The forms can also be found on the NREMT website. These are the exact forms used during the practicals. http://www.nremt.org/EMTServices/exam_coor...=1#BSkillSheets This is a link to the page where they can be found. There are ones you will be tested on, and then a couple of "random" stations. Those are all explained on the referenced page. Hope this helps!

ROP stands for Regional Occupational Program. Essentially it's the high school trade classes in California (it includes intro to fire fighting, hotel courses, culinary courses, and a lot of other trade programs), but it's open to adults as well.

ROP stands for Regional Occupational Program. Essentially it's the high school trade classes... <snip>

...but it's open to adults as well.

Ooooh! I like this! :twisted:

EDIT: These new ads are really starting to piss me off. They block out crucial portions of a lot of posts!

I took my course at a community college. It went well. The CPR course was included in the curriculum.

The two tests you are referring to are the written and practical exams that you will have to pass to get certified for the course. Those tests are provided at your school at the end of the course. Then you will be eligible to take the NREMT-B exam. Good Luck.

Ooooh! I like this! :twisted:

EDIT: These new ads are really starting to piss me off. They block out crucial portions of a lot of posts!

Do you know how many people get mad when I tell them that I paid only $120 for my EMT course including books?

WOW! All of you are very helpful! :D

DustDevil - I mostly mentioned only the AHA because the Red Cross wants $80 to do the CPR course :shock: Also when I just looked at the AHA BLS for healthcare providers in my area it has the option of, Santa Ana College. Which concidently is where I am probably going to enroll to. at $20 a unit for 6 units.

Also just clearing this up, Are you saying that getting an EMT-Basic license nothing? Because it's just basic First Aid?

Arizonaffcep - Yea im liking the sound of $25-35 better than $80!!! :shock: So you're saying the NREMT exam is takin after the practicals. Now is this all done in the same day, at the same place? Thank you for that link that was very useful!!!

JPINFV - You nailed that ROP question! :D Did you take an ROP class?

under-dreaming - Very nice, See I don't think the CPR is included in Santa Ana College because it says "Prerequisite: CPR Healthcare Provider Card". Really those tests are provided with the school? WOW! that would make things easier, but I will ask a consuler first just to double check, because I do know all schools are different.

Again thank you all for taking the time to respond to my questions.

- Red Dragon

EMT Basic is just a slightly more than boy scout first aid course. In fact you will find many places that teach it in about a 2-3 week time span. Really no way for it to be an in depth medical education. It is a requirement though in every state I am aware of before getting your Paramedic. But as Dust mentioned get it anywhere then focus on finding a quality Paramedic Degree program.

spenac - Wow that's actually kinda discouraging :( So I shouldn't go to the community college for it? I should just try to find the shortest course and cheapest?

Now would be getting the EMT-Intermediate be good after I get the EMT-Basic?

I wanna choose the right path, I don't want to waste my time and money...

- Red Dragon