RSI -

Just Plain Ruff

Does anyone have a good handout or educational document on RSI. The service I'm thinking of working for is using RSI and I need to brush up on it.

I Appreciate whatever anyone has.

Does anyone have a good handout or educational document on RSI. The service I'm thinking of working for is using RSI and I need to brush up on it.

I Appreciate whatever anyone has.

I would hope that your service does routine training on RSI. Most services that I've heard of have quarterly requirements to maintain the skill. Either so many documented intubations using paralytics or so much time in an OR.

Any handout or pocket card should probably be customized to your department's procedures. I mean it would depend on the type of sedative, paralytic, etc depending on the situation. Some services use different drugs for different situations or pre-dose with certain medications.

UMStudent, I totally agree. I just wanted a good overview and this article spenac posted was exactly what I wanted.

The department I am going to is a very progressive department and they have quarterly training/OR time(I think) and a airway registry.

I think I'm in good hands.

It is difficult to find a job as a paramedic?

no that's not true. I have 5 different ems agencies in missouri within 50 miles of me that are hiring.

no that's not true. I have 5 different ems agencies in missouri within 50 miles of me that are hiring.

LOL. You can go talk to him in chat room 2 right now so he doesn't miss your reply.

Glad my reference helped. AHA has a small book includes BLS, CPR, RSI, ACLS, PALS that might benefit. They just released the 2008 version.

Paramedicmike- I have heard of the Difficult airway course. I have thought about taking it. Who offers it and do they do it fairly frequently? Is there anyone else that does a difficult airway course of the same caliber as The Difficult Airway Course? I would love to go do it but most of the site a quite a way away from where I am.

The SLAM course is good, but dollar for dollar, I got more out of the Difficult Airway Course. The style of the instructors, and the small interactive groups seemed a little easier to acclimate to.

Take either one, and you will not be disappointed. If you can't take the course, and they can be tough to get to occasionally, buy the Manual of Emergency Airway Management on it's own. It is the text for the Difficult Airway Course, and should be mandatory reading for anyone that picks up a laryngoscope.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.