first time emt training

Like playing doctor???

No no if she did that, an insurance card would be required before assessment would begin :D

Kevin; that question is like asking how long is a piece of string. There's a lot of good advice here and I'll try to add my two worthwhile cents too. I went through a lot of career ideas; lawyer, doctor, firefighter, web designer/computer tech, teacher, 007 style hired assassin, and a few more I can't think of. Not all those ideas were practical or ended up being what I really thought I wanted to do.

With that in mind, let me ask you this: why do you want to be an EMT/Paramedic? Is its omething you want to do long term or just an "interest" or "stepping stone" to becoming say, an MD or RN? It would be a shame to commit yousrelf to the expense and effort of becoming certified and not gain the full use of your certificate because you lost interest halfway through.

Secondly; do you have any background in the medical or healthcare field or know anything about emergency medical services? I ask because one must have a realistic expectation of what to expect out there on the street as an EMT or Paramedic. Your class will certianly help with that and the required clinical and road time will be a great learning experience. There is a lot of difference between what's out there in the street and in the classroom. I also say that because I once got myself into a situation where I thought I knew what I was in for and it seemed all good, come day one it was totally different and I found myself struggling to keep my head above the water so to speak. I'd hate for you to build up an unrealistic picture of what to expect and then have it turn out to be nothing like it!

Thirdly; as with any academic undetaking (and unfortunately I speak from the experiences of having made these mistakes) you need to be 100% focused on your goal and stay ontop of the work. If you have no background in medicine or healthcare then I can probably assume that 99% of what is being taught will be completly new to you and therefore will take a bit more time to wrap your head around. It's really important to be self motivated as you won't be spoon fed information by your instructors and you will be required to be competent in all of it to pass. It's also really important to have good study habits because if you fall behind it's hard enough, but falling behind when the information is new and unfammiliar is even worse. I've washed out of one or two courses that way by simply not being goal orentaited (i.e. on passing) and having ineffective study habits.

If it's an area you maybe need help on then I encourage you to go seek it out - go to the library or look around the web for guidance. I cannot stress how important it is because I've learnt the hard way. I've gotten behind and it can really make a mountain out of a molehill whih adds to stress and makes learning harder!

I would also recommend you build in some time for expanded learning, search out additional information on what is being taight. This will really help you to gain a better understanding and more competent knowledge of the subject matter. It's also a great confidence booster, the more confident you are the better you will do, which will ultimately (I believe) make you a better EMS provider.

Sure does hope this helps! 8) .

Due to the fact that all we have to go on is a short question with limited info, we have done what we do best; assess the situation & evaluate the facts we have then decide a course of action. Of course Dust in his usual form takes the lead and pulls no punches. I admire that and do agree with the majority of what has been said. However I have some questions for the OP.

1. Why do you want to be an emt? Is this a mid life thing ( your profile says your 37) ?

2. Is this a career change that you are looking for? Or are you wanting to volunteer to "help" your community.

3. How did you come to this decision?

Please revisit your post and answer these questions.

To all of the other people that come here and lurk that have the same questions.

EMS is not a hobby to me. This is my career and chosen profession. If you want to be an emt, it is a free country and I can't stop you.

My advice to all is the same that has been stated here many times. Education is the key. There is such a glut of firemonkeys and whackers that it is coming to the point that the system is just beginning to realize that we are our own worst enemy.

The intelligent people are pushing for more education to make ems a respectable field in medicine. They are constantly being undermined by the people with a political agenda. You have a choice to be part of the solution or part of the problem.