I'm done ACP school!! (almost)

akroeze

I just wrote my final college exam for ACP and I passed with what my instructor said was the highest mark in the class! I feel so awesome right now.... the only thing left is to do 17 more hours to complete my 400 hours of field preceptorship and its all over!

I tell ya, what a journey it has been.... after 3 years of schooling I'm glad to finally be getting out on the road at this level. Hopefully it was all worth it.

The only conundrum I have is that the base I did my placement at only averaged one patient carry per 12 hour shift and very very few of them required any ACP level of skills. My preceptor and I both feel that I need to get more ACP level patients before I can be truly considered competent.... I think I may do some extra shifts at a more busy base (or the day shift at the same base which is busier).

congratulations my friend. I also concur with you and your instructor as more patient contact. But dont' get tunnel vision and say "I need one more". I am sure you are completely competent as to your skills.

My concern is that I have only had a few true ACP skills level patients. A multi-system trauma, an arrest, a symptomatic bradycardia, an SVT, runs of VTach and the usual MIs. The rest of the calls, while some of them being serious, have been well within the scope of a PCP for management. So in reality I haven't had much ACP level exposure. I haven't gotten to pace, only one tube, no decompression, no IO, no cardioversion. These are all things I was hoping to get to do while being supervised before being the one who is supposedly the one who knows best what is to be done.

My concern is that I have only had a few true ACP skills level patients. A multi-system trauma, an arrest, a symptomatic bradycardia, an SVT, runs of VTach and the usual MIs. The rest of the calls, while some of them being serious, have been well within the scope of a PCP for management. So in reality I haven't had much ACP level exposure. I haven't gotten to pace, only one tube, no decompression, no IO, no cardioversion. These are all things I was hoping to get to do while being supervised before being the one who is supposedly the one who knows best what is to be done.

Congrats on almost being done.

Just out of curiosity, what percentage of the PCP skills did you perform while doing your PCP preceptorship?

Congrats on almost being done.

Just out of curiosity, what percentage of the PCP skills did you perform while doing your PCP preceptorship?

Gave all drugs except Epi during PCP school.... 3 codes during preceptorship. I was the student during PCP school who got EVERYTHING, at least one CTAS 2 or higher per shift.... and now I'm a white cloud.