Looking for info on transport Vents

amyrox

Hi guys It is me again! Fishing for some thoughts here. Currently we use the HT50 by Newport and the Impact Eagle for our system. My Medics are telling me they hate the HT50 and are bringing up some other options. We have run with Eagles for years and the sales guy from Newport presented a great pitch, but the follow through on the product is what is being questioned by my staff. We opted to try the HT50 for the Volume and Pressure control options and cpap/bipap. Well to this day we have not had a pt tolerate the "bipap style" delivery that I am aware of. We are doing approx 5 vent trips a day so it is not like a lack of exposure to the equipment. We transport everything from Peds to adult, New intubation, post arrest to the chronic has been vent dependent for 20 years all on a daily basis. Give me your thoughts please as to what really is going to serve my group well and are my medics just resisting change and fighting the HT50?

What kind of ventilator education program does your company have? Are you able to contract with a respiratory therapist? A good RT can come in and help your service evaluate your ventilator needs and perhaps develop an educational program.

I have no experience with the HT50 and limited experience with the Univent 750. I have used the 750 at a small ER where I have been pulling PRN shifts. I believe the Eagle is the Univent 754?

Take care,

chbare.

If your company is running that many transports with the HT50 then you should be aware of the problems with them. There were notices sent out concerning the problems over the past 2 -3 years. One of our sub-acutes now has $250,000 of scrap metal waiting for a settlement with Newport. This is nothing new, the company was warned they needed to fix a couple of problems but failed to do so on the first notifications.

The Newport is not designed to do BiPAP or CPAP effectively. A PSV mode does not always equate to "BiPAP". That would depend on the leak compensation, demand valve, peak flow capability, sensitivity and head gear/mask you are using. PSV can be used on a 2 limb ICU ventilator but the flow capability is up to 240 l/m. On a transport ventilator, your flow is going to depend on the Venturi/Bernoulli effect for entrainment.

The Eagle is decent but don't get suckered by the sales pitch for the Plateau Pressure. It is NOT a measurement of static compliance on that machine so the "ARDSnet" speech some sales people give you is crap.

Viasys's (Pulmonetics) LTV series is my choice (and Christopher Reeve's) especially if you are attempting a BiPAP (trade name for Respironics only) or CPAP mode. It is leak compensated and can achieve the flows necessary. The 1200 also has internal PEEP which makes a big difference for ICU pts. However, these machines also had a couple of recalls that put our 900 and 1000 out of service for a new circuit board and there is a shortage of rentals to wait out the fix.

http://www.pulmoneticsystems.com/?1134213839

The Parapac is a work horse but has few options.

http://www.smiths-medical.com/catalog/mech...-mri-p200d.html

When looking at ventilators, remember they are expensive technology which is sold just like cars and you'll get the same line from the representatives that you do on a car lot.

If you don't believe me, look at some of the "stuff" EMS has be sold by a salesperson calling it "CPAP".

You also have to understand how a ventilator works just like a car enthusiast also.

Consult your local RT department.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.