Bledsoe article: The Vanity of EMS

VentMedic

I used this to help me write my paper... I like the article overall!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barely relevant, but... I recently saw a TV advertisement for a sleep clinic, wherein the spokesperson on screen in lab coat had the following title displayed at the bottom of the screen.

"Jane Smith, EMT"

I had to laugh - what in the world does an EMT certification have to do with working in a sleep clinic?

Barely relevant, but... I recently saw a TV advertisement for a sleep clinic, wherein the spokesperson on screen in lab coat had the following title displayed at the bottom of the screen.

"Jane Smith, EMT"

I had to laugh - what in the world does an EMT certification have to do with working in a sleep clinic?

Those days are over and credentialing is now a must. Again, one must notice the NATIONAL accreditation and credentialing process. If they have done the time in school and have the experience, they can test. An EMT cert by itself does not qualify you for this position. This is yet another very new and growing profession that now has national standards for credentialing as well as a national organization to take on the benefits of reimbursement through professional recognition.

http://www.brpt.org/

BRPT Testing Dates:

June 16-28, 2008 Application deadline May 16*

September 15-27, 2008 Application deadline August 15*

December 1-13, 2008 Application deadline November 3*

*BRPT must receive your application by the specified deadline no later than 5pm EST

Eligibility Requirements

To take the RPSGT exam, applicants must satisfy one of the following eligibility criteria:

*Complete a minimum of 18 months of paid clinical experience where duties performed are primarily polysomnography.

OR

*Complete a minimum of 6 months of paid clinical experience where duties performed are primarily polysomnography AND the applicant holds a credential in one of the following allied health fields accepted by the BRPT: Nursing - (RN, LPN), Respiratory care - (RRT, CRT), Electroneurodiagnostics - (R.EEG.T.), MD, D.O., or National EMT-P.

Applicants MUST submit a copy of a certificate or official correspondence from the credentialing agency with the application if mailed, or in the case of online appliations, a copy must be mailed to complete eligibility. NOTE: On the job experience must be within a 3-year period prior to the exam.

AS of July 2008: Any candidate qualifying for the examination process through one of the above experiential pathways must meet eligibility requirements by submitting proof of completion of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine's modules, or an equivalent educational program, with their application to sit for the registry exam. This change does not apply to candidates who have completed a comprehensive tra ining program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Educational Programs (CAAHEP) under the CoA-PSG, or an add-on sleep technology program under the CoA-END or the CoA-RC. For more information, please go to www.brpt.org

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.