Help needed 2nd post...

**** Please send all suggestions to my email @ daniel.murphy@att.net as i will be on shift then traveling and not able to check emt-city for a few days.. thanks... Daniel

Hello All,

I am the PO/PE officer for my EMS service, and have recently begun taking a good, hard look at what we do, and what we can do for the residents within our service area. Very often when we visit places

(senior centers, daycares, etc) unannounced, people ask "what's wrong?", and though i understand why they would think that, i feel that we could have more "face" time with the community, and educate them on

who we are, and what we can do beyond emergency care.

I would like to solicit ideas from the group about outreach/education/injury prevention that they are presently doing, have heard of others doing, or tried and didn't really work. I am compiling a list of daily, weekly, month, and yearly events, and am open to any suggestions, which i will present to my Director and fellow employees for their input. I will tell a little bit about our service, it's residents, and future plans to help with ideas. Again, please don't hesitate to make any suggestions and if so desired, email me directly at daniel.murphy@ att.net which i receive on my mobile as well, and i will promptly answer as needed. My goal is to meet with the Director some time early next week (July 29th - August

1st) and then the employees and implement things as soon as possible.

Our service area is comprised of approximately 25,000 persons and we respond to approximately 2300 calls per year. We are a 3rd service of the City of Lockhart, subsidized by Caldwell County. We cover

approximately 2/3 of the northern part of Caldwell County borderin with Hays, Bastrop, and Travis Counties. We have 12 Full time field employees, 11 EMT-P and 1 EMT-B with 2 ALS units responding 24/7/365. Both units are stationed within the City, which is comprised of approximately 11.3 square miles.

The City of Lockhart and Caldwell County has a broad mix of residents from lower middle class to working class, and even a significant population below the poverty line. We have a large population both in

the city and county that do not speak english, primarily only spanish. We have a large population of senior citizens, and a few chronic individuals with a wide range of problems, some several miles from the

nearest station.

Our arrival time goal in the county are 15 - 20 minutes, and we have several aeromedical resources available. We are also supported by a paid FD within the city, and VFD within the county (some more organized and funded than others), and a medical assist team comprised of all levels from ECA - EMT-P (mostly off duty LEMS personnel) who are provided with first in bags up to EMT-I level of care. There are

several AEDs assigned throughout our service area (Each CCSO SGT vehicle, several first responder organizations).

We have an in-house AHA training center that provides CPR/FA twice monthly to the public, and in the past we have instructed EMT-B and EMT-P classes with good attendance. The general consensus among city planners and persons in the know is that the City and County, particularly in our service area with its

close proximity to Austin, is that we will soon experience a population boom that could possibly double our population within a few years. I know that in the next few years the Hwy 130 segment will be constructed,

and it will run right through our service area causing a significant increase in traffic and therefore motor vehicle based EMS needs. It has been said that in the near future we will be adding at least one station

with more personnel, and of course the necessary equipment needed to function.

Sorry for this post being so long, again please feel free to send your ideas to either the group and/or to my personal email daniel.murphy@att.net.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation

Daniel Murphy NREMT-P

Public Education/Outreach Officer

City of Lockhart EMS

www.lockhart-tx.org <http://www.lockhart-tx.org>

The opinions, facts, figures, and statements expressed in this posting are of myself alone and not necessarily the opinion, view, and/or of the City of Lockhart, it's governing bodies, the City of Lockhart EMS, or any other individuals or member bodies mentioned within.

MEMENTO MORI -