D50 vs Oral glucose

On an ALS ambulance, what are your thoughts of Oral Glucose vs using D50 on a conscious and alert patient? Are you carrying oral glucose? In this area it is a generally accepted practice to have the patient drink the D50.

Is anyone aware of any studies of the efficacy of oral vs drinking D50?

I have had patients drink it for years with good result. Now I have a medic making a big stink about it.

GAWD have you ever tasted d50? Nasty

If they are conscious and alert why not give them the paste followed by a meal prepared by the mrs.?

explain what the medic who has an issue with this, what's his issue? It might be valid or it might not be.

Lot's of good minds on this forum, I'm sure at least one of us here have had this issue before.

We had a drink d-50 discussion on here about a year ago. No I will not search for it, but you can.

The paste is cheap so why not have both available. Or just carry a thing of cake icing, man what a sugar rush. :lol:

Glucose paste is significantly cheaper and easier to prepare for oral consumption than D50 is. Your service should consider carrying both of them just to have another option if nothing else.

If this medic wants to make a change this is a reasonable one to suggest, depending on his methods. Suggest he carry a jar of peanut butter with him until it happens. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.