Heat rehab protocols for athletes

I have been looking at the rehab protocols that we use and was wondering what everyone else does. I work in a high humidity environment and this time of year, we are busy with this type of patient. We have been entertaining the use of a misting system along with a fan to increase evaporation. Does anyone use anything like this? Any info would be great.

There's been some debate regarding the use of misting fans. Here's an article about their use in fire ground rehab. Turnout gear is usually heavier than sports gear (even football padding) but the principles are the same.

A quick google search will also reveal info regarding how (in)effective misting fans are or can be (the one I linked above is just one of the many I found). You might be better off just having an air conditioned area for them to cool off in while the drink fluids.

-be safe

There was a recent article in JEMS concerning this very topic and the firefighters liked the cold towels the best. Talk to the athletic trainer at your local high school or college for more information. My 15 years as an athletic trainer working football taught me many things on heat rehab and it all relates directly to firefighters. paramedicmike is correct about the weight of the gear and football players are in better shape than firefighters for the most part. Still, the techniques used on the football field will work on the fireground or hazmat scene.

You might try searching the sports medicine literature for articles on this topic. If I recall correctly, the misters never really worked all that well and created a mess. I never used them up here in the northeast but they were popular in the southeast.

If your service does sports standbys at your local schools this is a perfect opportunity to develop a relationship with the athletic trainers. Just a thought.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.