IV Glucagon!??!?!?!?

medicv83

IMHO No. Glucagon will work on the reserves already insitu. Otherwise Dextrose 10% IV should be administered. As has been already stated, carbohydrates is probably the key to the treatment here. The glucose needs something to work upon.

I used to give Glucagon IV and had a few incidents of vomitus (the patient not me).

The only other time I would IV Glucagon would as (again) has already been stated for beta blockade OD.

Mike

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calcium is not going to help manage a beta blocker OD. The calcium channels are closed due to the beta blocker, and adding more will not change that.

Calcium chloride is the preferred preparation for critical patients as it has roughly three times as much ionized calcium available when compared to calcium gluconate.

Wait, if calcium is not going to help manage the beta blocker OD, why is calcium chloride the preferred preparation for critical patients?

Well, yes and no. At very high doses, some beta blockers can actually block calcium channels. (propranolol if I remember correctly) So, some sources will say that you may consider giving calcium. I am not sure how effective calcium would be when used alone, and the risks of using calcium should be CAREFULLY considered IMHO.

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.