Our first Narcan

Riblett

Slammed medications are never the answer.

Ruff but as an ex-ems "professional" told me as to why we do it that way "it don't hurt me".

Yes he really did. That statement did help me get past being so timid when I first started learning IV's. But I never understood that for administering meds. That attitude seems very prevalent sadly. Myself I always think what would my reaction be if I was the patient. Yes I know that is hard to believe that I care about patients feelings but I do.

I'll agree, with you on that point But I hope the OP was just using the wrong choice of words.

There are medications that you do slam or push rapidly, such as adenocard or medications in a code but slamming any other medications is to me the sign of a new medic or a very nervous medic. You have a critical patient and you slam the meds to get em in there fast.

It just reminds me of a bunch of medics sitting around the table or crews quarters, those medics are new medics mind you. They are bragging about how many patients they have saved.

One starts with I slammed that Versed in that patient and they let me do anythin, another then responds with another story of how they slammed some other drug and the stories get bigger and bigger and more outrageous and it just gains a legend of its own.

I can't remember the last time I heard from a medic that they slammed some med or another.

I just hoped that slammed was not the word that he wanted to use.

What I got from the OP was that "slammed" meant that the full dose was given in one push instead of titrating to the desired effect. I also think the OP felt like she learned a lesson from pushing the full dose and having to fight with a patient who was in pain.

As for the stories Ruff that keep getting better and better, how else are we supposed to be entertained with other people's stories...... :D

ok thanks Mateo I was thinking it was something like that.

I have also been on the receiving end of a patient who I took their high away. With my first narcan use on a opium addict I woke him up and he started breathing again and then he started to pummel me up one way and down the other. Thank goodness for a huge partner and two burly sheriff's deputies we got him secured down and the most that was damaged was my pride.

note to self from that day forward - slowly slowly slowly said the sloth. Give it slowly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.