Wondering if this is normal

well I finally had enough and told them I was done. I was not going to be 30 miles away from my coverage area when someone's child stops breathing and I can't get there quick enough because they don't know how to cover their area properly.

It's sickening. The new area I was working in was PROMISED 2 ALS trucks in the area at all times. They fail to provide that nearly everyday. A friend of mine that works there told me he was 30 miles away, coming back from a transfer and the crew that was down there covering the are called them and told them they had to go back up north to the other area and they were up for the coverage area. He told her, I am 30 miles away still, and they didn't care.

Now how would you feel if your loved one went into cardiac arrest and there was supposed to be an ambulance 5 minutes away and they were actually 30?

I'm done. Actually a very reputable hospital in our area called me the next day for an interview and I also still have my part time job with the ambulance service here in town I have worked for for quite awhile so I'm hoping I can get enough hours there to survive until I hopefully get the hospital job.

Thanks for everyone's input!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quit. I work in rural Alabama, it can't get much worse. We handle 911, interfacility transports, extrication, BLS, dialysis transfers, the works. NO sleep. AND no help from the Wage and Industry people. They basically told us, we chose to do this, if we didn't like it to QUIT.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.