and you thought it was bad when BLS was pushing meds...

dahlio

Thank you. I saw a special on how many tons of exp. meds folks have at their homes... the work place would be even worse. Hmmm.

That's a great point. I used to work for a company that did health and safety evaluations for corporations, as well as providing equipment and training for them. It is pretty rare to find a workplace where they take serious responsibility for the contents of their first aid kits and such. They're usually empty, and never refilled. Those that aren't empty are either trashed or full of long expired products. When the guy that pays the bills realises that things are expiring without ever getting used, they frequently decide that it's not worth replacing anymore.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great point. I used to work for a company that did health and safety evaluations for corporations, as well as providing equipment and training for them. It is pretty rare to find a workplace where they take serious responsibility for the contents of their first aid kits and such. They're usually empty, and never refilled. Those that aren't empty are either trashed or full of long expired products. When the guy that pays the bills realises that things are expiring without ever getting used, they frequently decide that it's not worth replacing anymore.

Off topic, but sort of related: This reminds me of a discussion we had on fire extinguishers in the fire academy. The D/C was talking about how he had been called to inspect after a small fire in an office building. Upon arrival, he was told that none of the extinguishers had worked. He asked if they did inspections. yes they did. Who did them? The security officer. Ok lets talk to the security officer. "How do you inspect your extinguishers Ms. Security Officer?" "Well, if they have their seal and pin and the gauge has the right pressure, I dont do anything. If the pin is missing, I put some twisted copper wire in there. If the seal is missing, I reseal it with a twist tie and if the pressure guage is low, I shake the extinguisher until the pressure comes back up." D/C cites the company for improper maintenance of fire apparatus.

Back to topic...if we could teach teachers the signs of anaphylaxis and given that there are no contras to epi in the case of anaphylactic shock, couldnt we make these as fool proof as AEDs. Its just a thought. Hell, college students snorting ritalin (sp?) get a bigger cardio boost than with epi. One dose and they are climbing the walls for 48 hours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.