LA County Protocols

1aCe3

This is for all you LA "EMS'ers" out there. Where can I find up to date protocols, BLS and ALS ?! The dept of health of LA county offers some protocols, but their last update was in 2002. Not only that, but I can't seem to find any medical control options. All I can see are standing orders. Shouldn't the medical control options shortly follow the standing orders on each protocol? My google search is stumped.

Here is the DOH LA County website with the list of "protocols."

http://dhs.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/c...C502DJNGGVS2094

Educate me if I'm looking for something that doesn't exist. Are all medical control options discretionary, and is telemetry contact a more frequent occurrence?

My experience with EMS outside of New York City is minimal, and I currently operate under nyc regional protocols that can be found here : http://www.nycremsco.org/

I thought I'd do some reading up on protocols while my reciprocity in Cali was in motion.

The DHS website is being reconstructed and the actual PDF's aren't up yet.

There's mainly one page for "Protocols before Base Contact" and one page for "Base Hospital Orders" for medical control to follow. SOME departments (like LAFD) qualify to follow SFTP's (More advanced standing orders)...they don't have to make base contact for everything...they just call in "LAFD 123, coming in with a patient under protocol M-1, ETA 5 min"...even those are limited, though.

There's also 1 BLS page, a few pages on general guidelines on HOW to do certain things (like O2 delivery and rules surrounding it), and then other pages like choosing patient destination, determination of death, trauma center criteria.

But it's not up on the site yet....and I never know if it's up to date...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.