OIL JOBS???

First off what qualifications do you have. An EMT in Alberta is not anywhere near the same as an EMT in the states. An EMT in Alberta meets the NOCP for a primary care paramedic. The scope of practice roughly equates to that of an EMT-I

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not an EMT, but I have worked in the oil patch before. First off it takes a special kind of person to do that kind of work. Hours of boredom, mostly spent in the front seat of a truck in the middle of nowhere (especially true if you are an EMT). The guys in the oil patch are pretty rough, you have to be able to put up with being yelled at and called names that would make you mom blush, and you need to be able to stick up for yourself. You may be working in very dangerous areas on very dangerous jobs, with guys that are probably nursing a hangover from the night before or are still a little tipsey cause they never really went to bed at all, just kept drinking until it was time to go to work again (yes this happens a lot, anyone who tells you otherwise is lying). The upsides to the job is that you get to travel a lot and some days when you are out working in the summer time and the sun starts to come up with the most beautiful red sunrise you think, "God, I can't believe I get paid to do this." It's the days like that that helped me through it, and the adventure of never knowing where or when my head would touch a pillow every night. It's a fun industry to work in for sure, but I can't see doing it for the long term, especially if you are in a serious relationship, it's a single person's world. I didn't sugercoat it for you, so I hope that helps you out. B)

• 3 weeks later...

i've worked in the patch as well. hated it. away from my husband far far far far far far far too much. serious boredome (althouh this allowed me to study). i lucked out, i got along with my crews very well. but alot of oil pigs are just that, pigs. they will expect alot from their female bandaids. you have to have the attitude and cahones to stick up for yourself, and mean it. worked for me, had alot of fun.

oh, and you should like driving in mud, clay mud, with no gravel. sideways is fun! (i hated that part too).

yes, the money is worth it, depending on what you are willing to sacrifice for it. 3 months in the patch paid for 1 year of medic school. i may have to go back part time to pay off my student loans. a couple of days here n there wont be so bad, for me, but never again full time.

did i mention i missed my husband? and friends?

another point: if you want to be an EMT because of the skills and technology and nifty things you get to do, then dont go to the patch. you sit in a truck. for weeks.

however, thats just my opinion. think about what your goals are right now.... the patch may very well enable you to acheive financial goals much faster than, well, pretty much anything else! lol. before you jump in, whether to the patch (yes, they're screaming for people) or actually onto an ambulance service (also screaming for people, because most registered EMTs are in the patch), do some serious thinking and research. go on an ambulance ride-a-long, see what the real service is like.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not an EMT, but I have worked in the oil patch before. First off it takes a special kind of person to do that kind of work. Hours of boredom, mostly spent in the front seat of a truck in the middle of nowhere (especially true if you are an EMT). The guys in the oil patch are pretty rough, you have to be able to put up with being yelled at and called names that would make you mom blush, and you need to be able to stick up for yourself. You may be working in very dangerous areas on very dangerous jobs, with guys that are probably nursing a hangover from the night before or are still a little tipsey cause they never really went to bed at all, just kept drinking until it was time to go to work again (yes this happens a lot, anyone who tells you otherwise is lying). The upsides to the job is that you get to travel a lot and some days when you are out working in the summer time and the sun starts to come up with the most beautiful red sunrise you think, "God, I can't believe I get paid to do this." It's the days like that that helped me through it, and the adventure of never knowing where or when my head would touch a pillow every night. It's a fun industry to work in for sure, but I can't see doing it for the long term, especially if you are in a serious relationship, it's a single person's world. I didn't sugercoat it for you, so I hope that helps you out. :lol:

Yeah, there's nothing to sugarcoat about the patch, nothing happens up there. You're in more danger of a needlestick (if you're not careful) or getting smacked by a combatitive drunk than you are of ANYTHING on the rigs. Well, except for some perv trying to pick you up if you're a female ... or perhaps even a male ... Brokeback Oilpatch ya know ...

• 4 months later...

Hey there,

I work in Northern Saskatchewan and have work with the oil sands. For you to work up there it wouldnt be a problem in the least. Your licensing for Saskatchewn at least will be transferble permitting you have the continuing education credits and certs up to date.

MDKEMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.