Help Me Choose My Coursework (And Life Decision Dilemnas)

AnthonyM83

Since EMTCity is like my surrogate family / coworkers / academic advisers, I wanted to check in with you guys. Note, I'm working this 24-hour rotating shifts.

So, here's the deal, next quarter goes from Feb. 11 to June 10. The next paramedic programs at the schools I want to attend start May and August...if I get into a May program I really don't want to put off medic school any longer. I've spent 15 months working this $8/hour EMT job giving up weekends from my youth. I love it, was just appointed an FTO, but you're only allotted so much post-college time to dilly dally around (plus I'm overly concerned/scared of letting time pass me by in life).

I have the options of taking these classes, learning what I can from them, and dropping them for medic school in May. Or passing up another opportunity, staying at my job longer (which I like, but it's not leading anywhere and learning curve is leveling out), getting ONE quarter done, and starting medic school in August. I seriously think if I'm spending all this time being static, I should just switch jobs and take 3 three years to prep for medical school applications....

This seriously feels like a mini dilemna / enpass for me.

Anyway, as far as the classes:

The local CC just opened up a bunch of Anatomy classes, so now I WILL be able to take Anatomy Part I. I don't think I can take Part II concurrently (it deals with applications to medicine/anthropology/pathology and include human dissections)...if I can should I take both?

I found this Speech classes that goes over voice, articulation, and styles of communication...always wanted to take something like this...

There's also a Microbiology class that looked interesting. Wanted to take this in college, but didn't fit in the schedule. Only classes are offered MTWR...so I'd have to change jobs...no amount of shift trading can consistently allow me that.

And there's also a Social Psych class I've wanted to take forever...though I suppose I could pass for now.

That'd be 3-4 classes...working full-time at a place where you don't get much sleep on shift. I'd have to shift trade and sacrifice weekends/social life. My new year's resolution was to set time aside for that no matter what, because I've become so far removed from friends over the last year due to the job schedule. I don't even know if it's doable. I'm considering a job as an ER Tech...but I don't know how flexible the hours will be. Will pay more, but you work fewer hours per week.

I'll just leave it at that. It's late and things are muddled for me. My main concern is how much having those courses under my belt will change my paramedic school experience. I have a good deal of biology background, but haven't taken those actual classes. As far as possibly leaving my job....I feel like I'm just getting situated there...and it's just a really hard place to leave. I'll post this now and review it in the morning maybe with a bit more clarity. :-/

BTW, these are the course descriptions...I imagine a lot of these classes are going to fill up soon:

ANATMY 1, General Human Anatomy 4 units This course is an intensive study of the gross and microscopic structure of the human body including the four major types of tissue and their subgroups, and the following organ systems: integumentary, skeletal, muscular, circulatory, respiratory, digestive, urinary, reproductive, endocrine, nervous, and senses. Functions of the organ systems are included at the introductory level to prepare students for a course in Human Physiology. Laboratory assignments develop the skills of observation, investigation, identification, discovery and dissection. The use of actual specimens, including cat dissection and observation of a human cadaver, is emphasized to assure that students learn the relative structure, functions, textures and variations in tissues not incorporated in models. Supplemental materials such as models, photographs, charts, videotapes, and digitized images are also provided. This course is required for students preparing for many Allied Health professions including, but not limited to, Nursing, Respiratory Therapy, Physical Therapy, Physical Education and Kinesiology Training, and Physician?s Assistant and is a prerequisite for Human Physiology 3.

ANATMY 2, Advanced Human Anatomy 4 units This course emphasizes developmental, comparative, gross anatomy as applied to various disciplines such as clinical medicine, anthropology, art, illustration, kinesiology and pathology in order to demonstrate practical and professional applications of anatomy. The laboratory experience includes individualized instruction in dissection of the human body. Students prepare seminars on specific anatomy topics for presentation to faculty and other students. Guest lecturers and field trips may be included.

SPEECH 3, Voice and Diction 3 units This course focuses on improvement in voice and articulation. It features analysis of the student's voice and articulation problems and offers specific strategies for improvement. Techniques in relaxation, breath control, articulation, vocal variety and pronunciation are emphasized. In addition, students learn skills in oral interpretation, public speaking, and transcription of the International Phonetic Alphabet.

OR

SPEECH 5, Interpersonal Communication 3 units Techniques for effective interpersonal communication are studied with emphasis on developing awareness of one's own actions and their impact on relationships. Verbal and nonverbal communication styles are analyzed and practiced in one-to-one and small group situations. Lecture, discussion, and class participation are utilized to demonstrate a variety of skills including listening conflict resolution, and the effective use of language in personal and professional interactions. In addition, exercises in body language, role playing, and self-disclosure and positive/negative thinking help students understand the power of the communication process.

MCRBIO 1, Fundamentals of Microbiology 5 units This course involves study of several types of microorganisms with emphasis on bacteria. Principles of microbiology, metabolism, genetics, immunology, and medical and nonmedical applications are considered. The laboratory includes aseptic transfer techniques, cultural characteristics, methods of microscopy, and analytical techniques for identifying microbial organisms. The course content is related to both general and clinical applications including recent molecular biological and serological techniques.

PSYCH 13, Social Psychology 3 units This course is a study of the nature of social interaction and group processes that affect the motivations, attitudes, perceptions, and behaviors of individuals.

My advice would be to finish the classes you enroll in and start a paramedic program in August, rather than May. While I agree with most here that you should further your EMS education as soon as possible, I also think that it is important to finish those courses beforehand. Your future will not be significantly altered by this 3 month delay. Believe me.

Also, it sounds like you have a rather hectic schedule. From what I've heard, paramedic school won't improve your life in that aspect. If you finish your courses in June, you have two months until paramedic school where you have "only" work. Hang out with your friends. Read non-medical books. Take a trip to Iceland. In short: enjoy yourself, get some rest from school.

On which courses to take, do as much as you can. All of the courses you listed will help you, both in paramedic school and in your life as a health care professional. Additionally, I'd recommend some physiology. Maybe that's included in your anatomy courses? There was a reference to a course called "Human Physiology 3"?

Kristo speaks teh wisdom. These classes are not afterthoughts. They are the foundation of medical education. Taking them back-asswards significantly affects your educational experience in a negative manner. Take them ASAP.

Not only do they serve as an important foundation, but taking them ahead of time assures that you actually get around to them. Taking them (the science classes, at least) during full-time paramedic school, while working full-time is overload, and not recommended. And if you put them off til after paramedic school, it'll be years before you ever go back for them, because you'll be ready for a break and to focus on practice then.

Now honestly, the only classes I think you absolutely, positively MUST have before getting into medic classes is the A&P, and -- if you don't have a strong math background already -- algebra. Of those classes I seriously recommend for entry level medics, the only other really intensively difficult class left is Microbiology. You really need to get A&P out of the way before you tackle that one, but I see a lot of people do it without those first. And it's a class that you probably won't want to do during paramedic school.

The rest -- gen psych, developmental psych, sociology, speech communications -- I trust you can handle during paramedic school. Unless, of course, your school is full-time, not allowing for other classes. They are definitely crucial for competent practice, but not necessary as a foundation for medic classes.

As for the A&P thing, taking them concurrently usually isn't allowed, or even a good idea, unless you are not working and have plenty of time to devote to studying. But if you have this strong biology background from high school or something, and are dead set on starting medic school in August at the very latest, then it may be doable for you. But ideally, you aren't trying to digest two classes like that at one time. Sure, you can pass, but you won't digest or retain as much because of the overload.

I am a little confused, as Kristo observes, there is no physiology component in these classes. That is a lot more important than gross anatomy! WTF? Is that separate classes? Seems a little disjointed, but not necessarily a bad way to go, I guess. Each will be more intensive if split into separate components, I suppose. And you end up paying for three or four classes instead of two, which I'm sure they like, lol.

Anyhow, get both Anatomy & Physiology semesters done before medic school, whenever that is. If you have the time, get the psych, soc, and speech comms class done concurrently. One thing to consider though, is does the CC you are attending offer a paramedic degree? If so, great. Take all your support classes there. If not, you might want to hold off on stuff like english and extraneous electives until you get to your destination school, since most of them will require a certain number of hours in residence before granting a degree.

When does medic school end? Would you be able to attend some of these elective classes in the Fall during medic school? If so, pace yourself, and divide them all up between semesters. I know you're a smart dude, and can handle all of this plus more. But seriously, I can't overemphasise the price you pay in comprehension and retention when you overload with too many classes.

Good luck, Man!

Dust - some schools separate their anatomy and physiology classes. Confusing as all get out, but that's how they do it.

Anthony - bandwagon jump, but if you're going to take classes, finish the entire quarter and start medic school in August. I would not recommend taking microbio (this coming from somebody who focused on microbio in college... :D ) simply because it is four days a week and you wouldn't be able to shuffle work around it - ergo, it would be work or school. If you are interested in micro, take it after medic training. (It really is fun...but you need A+P to fully understand a bunch of it.)

Class recommendations from me, then, would be anatomy 1, and the psych course. No more than that, since you work rotating 24s. The question that you have to ask yourself is would you rather be a full-time student, or a full-time worker? Anatomy II appears to be designed to be taken after anatomy I, wouldn't recommend attempting it concurrently. Speech, eh, looks fun, but if you add one of those two classes into your schedule, wouldn't you be approaching full-time student status, with 10 credits?

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, Physiology is a separate class, but I already took it in undergrad (BA in Bio), so since I'm short on time, I think I'll be okay (not that a refresher wouldn't hurt)? Its anatomy was limited to major bones and organs (with fair, but not complete, amount of detail). Math's okay, got through Calc II, and have General Psych, Abnormal Psych, and Composition classes.

All three paramedic programs I'm considering would be full-time (like 8AM-5PM) 4-5 days/week....so concurrent classes would pretty much be out of the question...not only b/c of difficulty, but also scheduling. One lasts 10 months and the other 6 months.

all speak wisdom so far.

Do not take anatomy 1 and 2 together, you will blow your brains out, I tried it, it didn't work for me. But I'm not saying you can't do it.

As for the speech class, wait till medic school is over. Then take it.

I think you are set for physiology what with a bio degree and all.

Good luck I know you will make it.

I am a little confused, as Kristo observes, there is no physiology component in these classes. That is a lot more important than gross anatomy! WTF? Is that separate classes? Seems a little disjointed, but not necessarily a bad way to go, I guess. Each will be more intensive if split into separate components, I suppose. And you end up paying for three or four classes instead of two, which I'm sure they like, lol.

My undergrad and grad school (and, by connection, the medical school) have anatomy and physiology split up into separate courses. Now that I'm in grad school, I can see a rather good reason to do it. Anatomy and physiology (as well as histology) are all connected. You can't really learn anatomy with at least going over the basics of what that organ does. Similarly, you can't understand how organs work on a cellular level (histology) without at least brushing over anatomy and physiology. Similarly, you can't go over physiology without at least hitting the major points of anatomy and histology for that organ. By splitting up physio and anatomy into different courses, you insure that the main points are covered multiple times in a student's academic career.

I agree, anatomy and physiology are separate things and, if covered in detail, should be taught as separate subjects. They do overlap, but not just with each other, but also biochemistry, cell biology, even pathology at times.

I was, however, under the impression that this material was not covered in that much detail in college, so they combine the two. That's the way it's done in Icelandic colleges (LOL* 103 and 203). I guess it would make sense for colleges that focus on preparing students for further studies in health care to separate the two.

* LOL (here) means "Líffæra- og lífeðlisfræði" (Anatomy and physiology), not "Lots of Laugh".