What Do You Love? (About this job)

AnthonyM83

[/font:ca7e6a5520] [/font:ca7e6a5520]i enjoy everything about being a medic because it is all so new to me- i have been an RN for 12 years now and got my medic license last october- i am thrilled everytime i get to say "i am a Paramedic" - it is exciting to have the patient- the EMT and myself and to be doing the assessment- asking questions - trying to get a sense of what is going on- starting to form a first impression of what might be needed and at the same time trying to calm my nerves telling myself over and over again I CAN DO THIS!! i know it sounds crazy but i get such a kick out of putting on O2- doing a 12 lead and starting an IV- this is my patient and i am making the decisions- i feel i am actually helping someone and using my knowledge instead of reading off a page of orders and following them step by step -day after day-i am so looking forward to as many patients as possible and learning as much as i can and getting to say "i am a Paramedic" as many times as i can in 2008- great thread!!

Sorry...I couldn't resist!

Blood drops on pavement and those late night dry runs

Bright flashy red lights and loud raging sirens

Psychotic patients all tied up with string...these are a few of my favourite things.

Smiles from young children and hugs from old ladies

Morphine and Narcan, D50 and maybe..

Pass that ET tube through that cartilidge ring...these are a few of my favourite things.

Laughing at dispatch and families who thank you

Saving a life--oh yeah! there's that too

"clear"ing and "shock"ing ,sometimes just listening...these are a few of my favourite things.

When it's late night

When you've no sleep

When I'm feeling bad....I simply remember my favourite things....and then I don't feel so bad.

(In my defense, it is after 4am and I've been working waaay too long)

Truth is, when it comes right down to it, sometimes it's really great just to be there for someone when noone else can.

Brat :angel8:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.