Union solution?

mstovall

Is your place of primary employment union?  

10 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • no, but I am a member of an Association (NAEMT, state affiliate, etc.)

Unions are suppose to make places of employment better. In a recent article I was reading (can't remember if it was EMS or JEMS) I remember that there was a high level of organized shops in fire-based EMS and little in comparison at other EMS-based operations (hospitals and third-party).

We are a third party service and I hate to say it, but the union has done little to improve conditions. They have gotten a few extra days of vacation, but we have no sick leave, pay is lower than prevailing wage, and very little involvement in policy making. They do provide a lot of training which our company refuses to do, enough to keep your medic certs.

Are associations or unions ever going to create enough pressure to improve things such as pay, retirement, and working conditions? Will we in EMS ever unite to cause change such as the teachers associations (mainly the NEA)? What other methods can we utilize to create a better work environment?

Another recent post stated that only a handful of employees at one service were up to improving things. Is there even enough will in EMS to make our lives better?

Are unions popular in other countries outside of the USA? Have they helped to improve conditions?

Michael

My areas unions are powerless. The only cure for low pay and bad benefits is to cut the supply of cheap labor. That would require more education so we weed out the undesirables. As long as a first aid cert gets you on the ambulance and people willing to work free or on the cheap no improvement. In west Texas some areas because of oil boom paramedics making $18 to start and basics $12. Not enough bodys to fill the spots.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.