Tracking your Narcotics?

Medic26

Just to add a little more background, we have never had an issue with missing drugs or mis-use of them. I was just curious as to how other companies carried and kept the records. We have 8 units stocked at all times, ALS providers are issued keys and the drugs are kept in a locked cabinet, then the narcs are locked inside the drug bag with a second lock and integrity seal. We generally don't have more than 3 units "staffed" on duty at any one time. If it gets busy they will call more staff in from home as we are a combination department. I was just looking for common practice in the industry.

I agree totally with the liability issue, but I have looked extensively and am not able to find the actual DEA regulations that deal with this specific issue peratianing to our set-up. SInce the hospital pharmacy "dispenses" the meds and "maintains" the stock.......I am unsure what our LEGAL obligation really is. Anyone know??

I'm sorry, It should read:

Our narcs are checked at shift change and counted by offgoing and oncoming medics. Then logged in to our narc book.

My question to all is how do you account for your wasted narcs, do you have your bls partner or does a nurse or doc have to witness. Thanks

My question to all is how do you account for your wasted narcs, do you have your bls partner or does a nurse or doc have to witness. Thanks

We turn the entire kit into the pharmacy, who handles the wasting or reusing whatever the case may be. In exchange, they hand us a fresh, sealed kit.

We have a nurse at the receiving facility sign for waste, then the doc must sign a sheet in the drug bag with his or her orders before we turn it into pharmacy......if it was a standing order either the ER doc signs it or the pharmacy obtains a prescription from our medical director. After that we turn in the bag and the pharmacy issues a new one thats counted and sealed.

We exchange the drug box through the local hospital pharmacy any time we use any medications. They verify and count everything. The box and seal are checked and documented every day. Should the seal be broken to use an item, it is well documented and any waste must be signed off by a nurse or physician.

In the 18 years the service has been in operation, there is yet to be any investigation or a discrepancy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.