Houston EMT-B Training

misstiff

Does anyone know of training courses in Houston for the EMT-B that are not at a community college? Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated! :)

Here is one topic that covers a lot of info about Houston area schools. Supposedly, Cypress Creek EMS offers a pretty good in-house course.

Why are you specifically looking for a non-collegiate school? Just FYI, they are a lot less expensive than most private and hospital-based schools. And once you start looking at Paramedic school, the college you choose will look more favourably on you if you graduated from their EMT course.

I have done some research, and have ended up signing up with cypress-fair for the emt-b course (spring semester) and will hopefully attend the paramedic program the following semester(s).

They offer two ways to go about getting to paramedic.

1. paramedic academy - accelerated program (3 semesters i believe) and culminates in you being eligible for nremt-p testing.

2. a 2 year program in which you actually get an associates degree and get some really useful classes (a&p 1 and 2, writing courses, and a few others) This is the plan I am pursuing.

I would not recommend the program offered by Houston community college. On 3 different days I could get no one on the phone after numerous attempts, and they took an entire week to reply to an email (and they used a pasted response).

On the other hand, the receptionist at cy-fair was incredibly helpful, answered all my questions and was generally just plain pleasant to talk to. I have also visited their campus, and it is very new, nice, and professional.

I know you were looking for non-community colleges, but I believe they are a very viable option, and cy-fair is also accredited.

Hope this helped a tad.

ps. Dust, thanks for all your help.

2. a 2 year program in which you actually get an associates degree and get some really useful classes (a&p 1 and 2, writing courses, and a few others) This is the plan I am pursuing.

Total respect for choosing the longer, but better road! :thumbright:

But you've got a big edge too, bro. You're going to breeze that thing. Best of luck, and invite me to your graduation. I should be coming home about then, lol.