Adenosine - your weekly pharmacology topic

Since no one seems to believe me.

"Arrhythmias at Time of Conversion

At the time of conversion to normal sinus rhythm, a variety of new rhythms may appear on the electrocardiogram. They generally last only a few seconds without intervention, and may take the form of premature ventricular contractions, atrial premature contractions, sinus bradycardia, sinus tachycardia[/font:ad6d6be944], skipped beats, and varying degrees of A-V nodal block. Such findings were seen in 55% of patients."

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/adenos_wcp.htm < site

It is not a matter of believing you tsk, it is entirely understanding how the pathophysiology works when managed with this particular agent.

Due to it's short half-life, the effects on the AV node typically don't last very long. Because of the slowing of conduction, the initial response will be one of a bradydysrhythmia. Following the elimination of the drug, the AV node will be return to it's original ability to conduct impulses. When the heart is inadequately perfused for a period, it's first response will be to increase the rate.

Sinus tachycardia is not pharmacologically possible from administration of adenosine, but is relatively common following it's use.

That was very educational for me. That's kind of stuff I like learning about. I can make my flashcards and lookup the indications, contraindications, and mechanism of action online, but understanding the theory and process of how it works is what I'm really looking for.