Degree suggestions?

I've been taking classes at the local community college for years now and the time has come that I HAVE to choose a degree path. Here is the problem...I love my job as a paramedic, so I want a degree that will enable me to go further in this profession. I thought I wanted a degree in literature...but that just seems like a waste of time. There is an on-line B.S. in emergency health sciences that looks really interesting, but I'm not sure it would be beneficial in the long run.

Here's my question-What degree do you have and how has it helped you in EMS?

If you don't have a degree what would you suggest?

Thanks!

I took the Bachelor in Health Sciences at the University of Phoenix online. It didn't really have any effect on my career though. I'm already at upper management. I just wanted more letters after my name.

Edited by Arctickat

My college offers an Associate's in Applied Science for EMS. I went ahead and took the courses for this degree because there weren't that many and I needed most of them for nursing pre-reqs anyways. I am going to get a BS in nursing eventually, though I am in no rush because I like my job as a paramedic.

Most degree's really don't help you much as a paramedic though. I am not discouraging you to get one because I feel like our profession will never progress if we don't have more education. I am just saying, for most people in EMS that get / have a degree have no benefits over those who don't. For that reason, I'd go with a degree that is not focused solely on EMS. For instance if I wasn't going for a BSN I would probably consider a BS in biology or something of that sort. That way if you ever want to progress to another position in the healthcare field, you have a more useful degree.

That's just my feelings on it. However if you really want that degree in literature I'm sure you could put it to use as a paramedic. There are EMS magazines and websites that could probably use talented writers, you could even use your knowledge to write your own book ect. So don't discredit the degree you want because you think a degree focused in ems will let you progress farther, because it likely won't.

Edited by Sublime
  • Like 1

I like the idea of a literature degree. I just want to ensure I choose a route that will benefit somehow in the future. I think I could ACE the classes in the Emergency Health Science curriculum and I would love the program but I'm not sure how wise it is to invest money and time in a bachelors degree that won't be helpful in the future.

Thanks for the input!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.