Should you or shouldn't you help?

8-bit

Here's my 2 cents. Like most everyone else said, if the ambulance was not there then I would stop. From what I have been told by EMS providers and nurses, here in Iowa it is illegal to pass on by an accident if you are a paramedic, EMT-B, first responder, doctor, nurse, etc.. If it is found out you did pass by and not render help, you can get in BIG trouble. I just read that EMS providers are covered under the Good Samaritan Law in Iowa so that is good news.

If the ambulance was already there, then I would not stop. I feel I would be getting in the way and they probably have things under control, if it is not an MCI. MCI I would probably stop and offer help.

Good luck and Be Safe

AMESEMT

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you explain this to an ignorant American please.

Peace,

Marty

I'm not the greatest at explaining this but I'll try. We have a law here in Ontario that sets out what is considered a health profession (MD, Nurse, Dentist, Chiropractor, etc, etc). It also sets out in broad terms 13 things that are considered a "medical act." The different health professions are allowed to do different numbers and parts of those 13 things.

For example, as a nurse I am allowed to do these three:

-Performing a procedure on tissue below the dermis, below the surface of a mucous membrane

-Administering a substance by injection or inhalation.

- Putting an instrument, hand or finger,

1. beyond the external ear canal,

2. beyond the point in the nasal passages where they normally narrow,

3. beyond the larynx,

4. beyond the opening of the urethra,

5. beyond the labia majora,

6. beyond the anal verge,

7. or into an artificial opening in the body.

I am allowed to do these things independently... in other words, I can decide to do them on my own. However it doesn't mean I CAN'T do some of the other acts. They just have to be delegated to me by a health professional who DOES have it assigned to me. For example:

-Applying or ordering the application of a form of energy prescribed by the regulations under the RHPA.

That could be delegated to me in the form of defibrillation by an MD. I can't do this on my own but an MD can delegate me to do it.

Does that make sense?

Right now Paramedics are not part of this health profession's act. Every health profession under this act has a college. I belong to the College of Nurses.

They are right now reviewing an application for medics to get a college, and thus we would have our own scope of practice under regulation and would have a number of these controlled acts as part of our scope, able to practice independently.

sledogg1 wrote:

Still like the 1 that I stopped at a mvc motorcycle out of province where the medic were ass's (BLS) and pushed me aside and i offered ALS support iv. ett i said tramatic cx trauma I got we got it.......till they lifted back the sheet and this heart lungs were looking back and the cocky medic passed out........so he went in the 2 nd rig and I came the primary medic. So stop and assist but stay in your scope.

Again, a tremendous story there. I thought I had read something similar before...

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...sc&start=30

sledogg1 wrote:

Stopped at a mvc motorcycle saw the pt with two ladies, asked if they needed help, I am a Paramedic ACP they said "no they are RN's " Noticed the pt was on his stomach ,heard snorring respirations!!!!!!!!!!! I Went down and told them they must gain airway control HE'S BREATHING THEY SAID I said thankyou for your help, I now need Your assistance. With all the c spine logged rolled and his helmet was chacked in half beside him ................rn's nicely removed it before I arrived, he had massive head trauma. Had my wife get my medical kit out the back as we where heading back from Sudbury Ont and suctioned him Airway was contolled, did abc's proceeded to remove clothing noticed a Hells Angles tat and patch GREAT he had 2 femur fx, 2 radial/ulner fx and when I opened the shirt 1 Rn passed out there was 2 lungs and a heart doing a bradycardic beat........his ribs were sticking lt/rt. Covered the cx the ambulace arrived I had 2 14g IV's in and they where BLS. THE LOOK OF HORROR ON THERE FACES I had my ACP TAG with me and went with them,intubated and he coded in hospital.

Yes it is nerdy to have a kit with you if you use it be prepared to go, have your tag with you, but the hospital was impressed with our scope of practice.....got a thankyou from the Hells Angles and the RN woke up after her friend pulled her out of the bullrushes.

Looks like some of the details of the story changed, maybe you just forgot. I'm sure it still happened...

You also never answered any of the questions that I posted regarding your ability to practice in Ontario on that call. Maybe you can answer them now in this thread.

Well I wanted it to be a quick version........It was in Northern New Brunswick coming back from Ontario.

I am covered by our Medical Director and personal insurance to assist in these situations. I mean't RN not medic typo.........

I will be following the same protocol as I have been my entire life until fully certified, even after pretty much. I will do what I can before the EMTs get there and step back offering any knowledge I have come on of the situation and help that they request. Sometimes just a reach this, grab that can make a big difference, just as not being in the way can.

I don't stop. Why? I'm an a**hole. An a**hole who cares about my family and my future. MVA's are dangerous scenes, if I get hit and injured or killed on duty then I am covered by insurance and my family will be taken care of. If I am playing Joe Samaritan and get hit, I'm screwed or my family is screwed. It just isn't worth it to risk my safety, I do that enough on duty.

Also keep in mind, the Good Sam Law only protects from losing a lawsuit. It does not protect you from some jackass suing you anyway. There is always a 1-800 lawyer looking to make some cash.

Peace,

Marty

This is my train of thought also. I'll usually turn around once traffic starts backing up. No point in contributing to ozone depletion by sitting stuck in traffic! It's all about the environment man............. :lol:

From what I have been told by EMS providers and nurses, here in Iowa it is illegal to pass on by an accident if you are a paramedic, EMT-B, first responder, doctor, nurse, etc.. If it is found out you did pass by and not render help, you can get in BIG trouble.

A good reason to have nothing on your car that might identify you as any provider on that list.

In the old days in Massachusetts, doctors had special plates that marked them as MDs. Problem for them was the State/local PDs would often stop them and have them assist at MVAs and the like.

So all the doctors started swapping cars with their wives. :lol:

I used to stop but don't anymore.

Who's gonna know you are a Medic or an EMT? If you are in your coverage area that might be a problem.

If you are out of town then I don't stop.

I sleep at night because I know that I have no equipment with me and if I'm stopping at a mva I will have no equipment with me. Sure I can secure c-spine till the ambulance get's there but most of the time I have my son with me so I never never leave him alone to get out to check a scene.

If I'm by myself I might stop but if I don't I won't lose sleep over it.

Here in CA EMT's have a duty to act if you come across a medical emergency . As long as you work within the box ( don't go outside your certification ) and don't look for compensation , you've got legal protection as said in the other posts . Here's something I'll suggest though . If you're giving care when EMS arrives , don't stop till they're ready to take over . Nothing like bystanders saying "thank god , the ambulance is here ! " then stopping CPR before you're even out of the rig . Also , don't forget to get consent prior to care and try to get as much info as you can . Be alert for Mechanism Of Injury . Just like they tell you in class , it can give you clues as to what your pt. went through , types of injuries , and how to treat them . If you're helping at an accident , if you can do it safely , do a quick walk around of the scene to look for hazards , account for all pts. , and get the big picture . You're safety is your first priority . You can't help if you go down too . :P

Just a reminder, Good Samaritan laws and a heart full of good intentions will not protect you from a SEMI UP THE ASS because you wanted to play hero on the side of the highway.

I'm going to revise standard approach to patient care to start reading as thus:

1. Scene safety 2. BSI. 3. Throw nurses off scene. 4. Throw doctors off scene. 5. Throw do gooding people who may or may not be EMTs off scene. 5. Airway 6. Breathing. 7. Circulation.