The school nurse says it's the stomach flu

ERDoc

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is she diabetic?

Any other health history?

*personal thing if I was male I would try to get a female if one is avaible. Unless she starts to crash.*

ok, what has happened here is a terrorist unleashed a modified case of Marburg and everyone in your community will be dead shortly.

back on target

Transport everyone to the hospital and alert the hospital of a possible food borne illness outbreak.

Keep samples of their vomit for testing by the hospital lab.

If they are exhibiting signs of significant dehydration then IV's all around and fluid bolus's to stabilize them.

Then give em all on orders of the doctor at the hospital - Reglan and watch for angered syndrome as a side effect of the reglan.

If you can keep samples of their stools that would be helpful also.

The hospital would be responsible for alerting the local health department and if there is not a health department then they would be responsible for alerting the state department of health.

I'm betting that if the kids are sick then their parents are too.

Is there a common denominator in where they all ate? Or could this be a more widespread outbreak like the spinach contamination?

Did any of the students eat at a buffet the night before or eat at the same restaurant before school.

I'm thinking its something in the water. The s/s remind me of the I think it was cryptosporidium outbreak in errr...Detroit? I think it was. Okay...time to check Wiki... No, it was Milwaukee.

"Over the span of approximately two weeks, 403,000 of an estimated 1.61 million residents in the Milwaukee area (of which 880,000 were served by the malfunctioning treatment plant) became ill with the stomach cramps, fever, diarrhoea and dehydration caused by the pathogen"

Being an elementary school, any illness that has a fecal-oral root should be high suspect. Any pathogens we know have a diurertic effect?

Does it hurt when you pee?

Is your pee a different color?

Does your pee smell bad?

"What kind of a freaky old man are you? My mom told me not to talk to weird people!"

Just kidding. No pain, no color change and as far as she knows no bad smell (though she tries not to make a habit out of smelling her urine).

Is she diabetic?

Any other health history?

*personal thing if I was male I would try to get a female if one is avaible. Unless she starts to crash.*

She says she has never heard the word diabetic. The school nurse tells you that there is no medical history listed in her file.