EMT Allergies

Yes, sometimes we all think we are allergic to patients, but we have other allergies like latex that we can get in the field if we use it on our units, if we use it to much, yes, I know people that this has happened to so my squad does not use latex materials.

No, no.. I was being sarcastic.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always said I'm allergic to work, and allergic to pain. But nobody believes me. :dontknow:

I am allergic to everything and live on Benadryl, which usually helps. If Benadryl makes you drowsy, ask your PMD for a suitable alternative. Just remember that people with lots of allergies, tend to continue to develop new ones all the time. Be really careful with latex. Fortunately, most everything we have now is latex free, but I have researched it and found that the one thing that you cannot get latex free is ace bandages. I have also touched steering wheels and clipboards that have been handled by people wearing latex before me..so watch out. (Although why they were driving or charting with gloves is beyond me). Good luck!

You can get latex free ace-style bandages... Here....

The most important thing with any allergy is knowing what level of exposure is acceptable to you. For smoke, pet dander, grass pollen, etc., if you know you're going into a scene that contains them, why not just put on the N-95? Limit your exposure so you're less likely to be affected! Explain it to your patient so they know what's up, and do what you need to do to keep yourself functioning and safe. Then, when you are done with the call, wash your arms, hands, face, and any other exposed skin to remove the allergen. Carry allergy eye-drops if you have issues with eye watering, etc.

As far as latex goes, once you sensitize it tends to get progressively worse with each exposure. Which sucks. So, try to avoid exposure wherever possible. This means being careful with tie-down straps, bungee cords, rubber bands, rubber exercise bands, some erasers, car parts, hoses, car floor mats, carpet grippers... and so on and so forth. The more you minimize your total exposure, the less likely you are to have a serious incident with it if you get some minor exposure (although not always the case, it's better than doing nothing).

If you have asthma, or some incarnation of reactive airway disease, for the love of Mike please carry your rescue inhaler and make sure you're on a control regimen! It is *really* stupid to assume that just because you get a little short of breath when you exert yourself/are exposed to an allergen that you shouldn't be on an inhaled corticosteroid of some form.

RAD is twofold; the underlying inflammation that causes your airway to be narrower than it should be and the reactive bronchospasm that occurs when you're exposed to a trigger. Keep the airway more open as your baseline, and guess what? The constriction doesn't suck (I know.. interesting word choice..) as badly. But at ALL costs, even if you haven't had an episode in years, keep the rescue inhaler around and handy. You never know!

Good luck. It's difficult to have allergies and work in this field (or pretty much ANY field for that matter) so be proactive and take care of what you can BEFORE you experience symptoms that may inhibit proper patient care.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Lets see im allergic to my job and my family. But heres a good story,

A friend of mine is medivac to a city centre. As she is landing she looks out the window and can see the ground ambulance on the tar mac and beside the ambulance there is a paramedic laying on the ground. Inside the ambulance is the other paramedic. Once they land the ALS go and see whats up. As it turns out the one on the ground is so allergic to peanuts that even if someone has eaten peanuts he goes into shock. The partner didn't know this and as he was trying to help he was getting worst so he finally figured out because he had eaten a chocolate bar with peanuts he was the problem. this all happened as the plane was landing so he decided that the ALS would be the best bet to help and went inside the ambulance to wait. I all turned out good but im not sure if he is still a paramedic.. So the lesson is if you have a potential deadly allergy you should atleast tell your partner.

happy

Something in hospitals just tears me up...nothing serious, but annoying enough!

Haven't figured out just what it is yet, but so far it has been only from extended exposure. Dropping a patient off? No problem, blow my nose when I get back to the ambulance. Spend a few hours there? Ummmmm...time to start popping the benedryl, sudafed, etc.

One thing about Benedryl is that it can make you very sleepy, but some like me, it can wire you out big time. It put's me on the ceiling. A doc I saw in LA said the same thing happens to him. So watch for that too.

• 2 months later...

While on duty, I found out (the hard way) that I was allergic to turpentine. We got called to this guy's house who was a painter and used turpentine as a solvent with his oil paintings. I walked in to the room and had an anaphylactic reaction to the turpentine in the air. My poor partner now had two patients to worry about!

It turned out alright and I now carry an EpiPen with me, but I still sometimes worry about walking into another turpentine-filled room.

If you have bad allergies and work in EMS.....that HAS TO SUCK, but....if you want a good antihistamine that won't make you drowsy, try Xyzal. I've only had one pt say it made them sleepy...but she was also taking 50 of hydroxyzine, go figure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.