Learning association game...

DwayneEMTP

Agonal respirations are characterized by, usually, slow..shallow respirations with periods of apnea (sometimes long) and occasional gasps. One of the hallmarks of this type of breathing is it's irregular rate, rhythm and depth. Most commonly associated with near death, though sometimes the term is incorrectly used to define other types of breathing that have more accurate descriptions. When observed it is certainly a sign that aggressive interventions are needed.

The only times I've seen this it was presented by family members of mine in their last moments, to hours(!), of life. The apneic periods were sometimes so long that the family had time to say their last goodbyes, only to be shocked when there was a huge gasp, followed by respirations that once again followed the description above.

Next: Respiratory acidosis

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Respiratory Acidosis - Ok, I'm going to answer this only on what I have seen with this, so it won't be very in-depth. Hopefully someone will expand on it beyond anything I can say.

It is a respiratory pattern characterized by very rapid, very deep inspirations and expirations (as opposed to the rapid, shallow respirations of hyperventilation). It is the body's attempt to blow off ketones (and maybe other acidic compounds?) trying to restore a Ph balance.

After a better discussion of Respiratory Acidosis, how about: EPIGLOTTITIS

Epiglottitis is a bacterial infection of the epiglottis. It is most often caused by the Haeomophilus influenzae type B, however it has also been caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae or Streptococcus pyogenes. Its symptoms include : fever, difficulty swallowing, stridor, and drooling. Epiglottitis can progress rapidly and lead to swelling of the throat and cyanosis.

Next word: Stridor