NEED HELP WITH PPV

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pt has a breathing rate of 32 bpm with good/equal tidal volume. What are your interventions?

A. nasal canula @ 6lpm

B. Nonrebreather @ 15lpm

C. PPV via BVM with supp. O2

D. insert oral airway.

First if you want to go beyond BLS level material, read on here. http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/cgi/content/full/163/1/283

Having said that, I've never seen a question giving so little information. With the information given you can argue either intervention, NRB, or PPV.

Here are the problems with the question. How old is the pt? 32 BPM may be normal and they may need no intervention. Secondly my protocols allow for varied LPM based on the patient, because 15 LPM is a bit extreme for a patient with a slightly elevated respiratory rate with no other signs of dyspnea. However, with this question as it is, I would answer with 15 LPM NRB.

The answer would be: NONE OF THE ABOVE! Should be:

A. NC @ 4 lpm.

B. NC @ 2 lpm.

C. Coach pt to slow down their RR.

D. Tell them to knock out the drama! :D

Thats street treatment though. No where in any EMT-B book I've read(up to 3) has said anything about starting oxygen administration on a NC unless patient is already on one, from COPD or similar and is not in respiratory distress, or arrest.

Good volume.....Hmmmmmm 30 bpm.....Hmmmmmmm

I'm guessing to start with High flow 02 via NRB if that's one of you're answers.

In reality, 4Lpm via can would suffice, but Registry Basic likes the High flow NRB answers.

I'm in agreement with one of the prior posts. Kind've hard to justify bagging under those circumstances. Remember to keep it simple, and work you're way up. I may be wrong, but seems you are answering too aggressive. Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.