NEED HELP WITH PPV

Ok, so im the one who failed the NREMT-B twice...im deep into studying right now so i can pass it this time.and i have a question!!

So according to the textbook..if the breathing RATE or TIDAL volume is inadequate..then you do PPV with supp. O2. So keeping that in mind... whenever i do some practice tests and theres a question where a pt has a breathing rate of lets say...30 bpm...with good/equal tidal volume, i choose to do ppv with suppl. O2. But then i get marked WRONG?

Why why whyyyy am i getting marked wrong on a question like that? Can anyone help? :?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do me a favor and show the question, along with the possible answers.

And secondly, define 'tidal volume' would you?

There could be several things sending you off into the ditch here. I think these might help track them down.

Dwayne

You start the fan, and place it 6 feet from the door to the residence so it creates a cone around the door. Close all windows and doors except for the ones you want to ventilate.

Wait, wrong PPV.

You are choosing to bag any pt with 30 bpm. Ok thats slightly above normal. But you say they have good volume. What options does the question give you? Does it mention anything about cyanosis or any other factors?

I cant say I would be taking too kindly to someone trying to bag me because I am breathing a little bit fast.

Because the NREMT teaches you that anybody with a respiratory rate outside of the accepted range probably needs to be bagged. It has nothing to do with medicine, it's painting by numbers. And your answers are coloring outside the lines.

This is aaaaall part of the game. You have to tell the NREMT what they want to hear, then forget all of it and do it the RIGHT way in the street.

Okay, well, getting PPV isn't as easy as it used to be. Now most cable companies use a digital signal which can't be as easily decoded as the old analog ones, but if you are good with solder and an old motherboard it can still be done.

You start the fan, and place it 6 feet from the door to the residence so it creates a cone around the door. Close all windows and doors except for the ones you want to ventilate.

Hehe... that was the first thing I thought of too! :lol:

Asys's version was even better!

But Dwayne and CB are on the right track, so I'll wait til she comes back with the answers to get too carried away.

Seriously though, give us the question that you seem to be having trouble with and the possible answers for said question. I've had several students that have come through the assessment station that go straight for the BVM when respiratory rates are just slightly above normal.

From what it appears with the limited information you provided, the patient seems to be breathing adequately but just slightly above normal. Without any more information, I would say that providing supplemental O2 with NRB would be sufficient in this situation, but you would also have to consider mental status etc. etc. Like someone else stated earlier, though it may sound all nice and pretty, you're not going to want to try to bag a CAOx3 patient if respiratory rate is 30.

I'm curious if your school is actually utilising the "PPV" term a lot with you there, or if it is just a term that you somehow came to use. The reason that people are joking with you here is because I can't say I've ever encountered the term being utilised like this in an EMT school. Usually, they just say "bag him" or "BVM." 120 hours is way too short of a time to get people all hung up on scientific terminology like PPV that they really don't get a lot of education on. And I fear the terminology may be something that is hurting your understanding.

Just because you elicited a couple of chuckles here, don't think that we aren't trying to help you. But, as SC said, we just need a little more to work with. I know you think this is as simple as a numbers game (i.e. over 30bpm = PPV), but it isn't. That's what we'd like to help you understand.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.