Pre-Hospital CPAP

CPAPMedicCO

We also use the Emergent PortO2Vent CPAP device. I feel that it's probably the best CPAP device on the market for prehospital providers, for the same reasons that have already been mentioned. Our last device used a downs flow generator and we couldn't adjust PEEP settings, thus greatly limiting the use of the device to just treating pulmonary edema. We are now able to use CPAP to treat asthma, COPD, reactive airway diseases and in cases of toxic inhalation and near-drownings.

I have to agree with ventmedic about the training. The first week it was implemented in our area I was at the ED and saw another service bringing in a patient on CPAP and in a supine position. That struck me as odd and I later went by her exam room and saw her sitting up an on a nasal cannula calmly talking with the nurse.

I'm reviewing every use in my service in order to stop misuse. So far every time it has been used has seemed warranted although I do not have access to hospital records. Time will tell.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

• 5 months later...

We have had CPAP on the truck for the past year. We are using the Bousnigac(spelling?) system. It is used on one oxygen tank with a regulator that goes up to 25 lpm. It is disposable, and an open system. We chose it because it is simple, and we can't overpressure the patient. If the tank runs out, the patient can still breathe through the apparatus. I believe it is sold through the Vit-Aid corporation. If anybody has any questions about it let me know.

We began using the Bousinac (spellin) CPAP device about 5 months ago. We are a hospital based service with 215 employees. Our Medical Director chose this device after he attended a conference on the matter. We have had good results with the device.

Richard Adams

It's a basic adjunct in RI, but my company won't buy it. They seem to think that it could cause issues with people using it on scene, and pissing off nurses at SNFs, subsequently causing the company money, because that's what it's really all about, not patient care... that would be silly

We are using the Bousnigac (sp?) system. Works well. Its disposable and about $75 per use. We use it only several times a year. But has been great so far. Almost paramedic proof. In the state of Washington CPAP is becoming a BLS skill.

• 5 months later...

[align=center]

we just added CPAP to our squad , about 2 months ago but havent used it as of yet how ever i may come on handy for a COPD patient eventually ,other than that its a simple set up and easy to use .....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.