Zofran and our n/v protocol. Can someone explain?

fiznat

The best treatment I know of for motion sickness is a scopolamine patch. The onset of action limits its use in the prehospital setting. Zofran may help but won't completely prevent nausea from motion sickness.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It boggles my mind that you guys actually have meds for nausea / vomiting. That's a BLS transport for us....

Also, sometimes our own interventions will induce nausea and vomiting. Morphine has this effect on some people. What's the point of reducing pain if all we are doing is replacing it with nausea?

It boggles my mind that you guys actually have meds for nausea / vomiting. That's a BLS transport for us....

Where I used to work we covered a bunch of long canyons. Not a bad idea to be able to handle N/V when you are stuck with an ALS patient who has to stare out the back window at twisting road for 45min

Yeah...nothing wrong with letting someone vomit into a bag for 10 minutes or so...not like we should bother to try and take care of that or anything...after all, the patient doesn't care.

Phenergan has been replaced by generic Zofran in our protocols as well. I think a lot had to do with the cost, because shortly after the generic was released the change occurred. The rational explaination given by the powers that be was that phenergan was being given improperly and in too high dosages. This resulted in patients being obtunded and groggy while at the ER and making the ED docs job too hard.

But I thought that in fire based systems everything except full arrests and really kewl traumas were BLS. After all, you don't want to keep the firefighters from missing the latest episode of Saved.

Phenergan has been replaced by generic Zofran in our protocols as well. I think a lot had to do with the cost, because shortly after the generic was released the change occurred. The rational explaination given by the powers that be was that phenergan was being given improperly and in too high dosages. This resulted in patients being obtunded and groggy while at the ER and making the ED docs job too hard.

Phenergan always made for a nice quite trip to the hospital. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.