Dissapointment

AMESEMT

...I have noticed from my own experience as I work with Medics and RN's as my partners that..often times they forget what it was like as a Basic.

Quite the opposite, actually. We know exactly what it was like as a basic. I spent seven long years as a basic, so there is not a thing you will ever be able to tell me about it that I didn't know before you were born. The problem is, you have no idea what it is like as a paramedic. It is you without the proper context, not us.

Being at the bottom of the totem pole DOES suck, but, we do the best that we can (most of us).

Understood. And I give credit to all pratitioners at all levels who strive to be the best they can be. However, your best simply never will be good enough as long as you are just a basic. That's not you. That's the simple fact of the level of training. It is wholly inadequate for fulfilling any professional need in EMS.

Granted some people are just there for the paycheck, and sad to say, some people are just there for the title.

I actually have some respect for those who are there for the paycheck. At least they respect my profession as a profession, and not just a hobby for wankers. I have zero respect for anybody who does the job for free.

I don't think that they are bashing the position, but, mostly the people that hold the position.

Actually, no. For the most part, we are bashing the entire concept of an EMS provider with less than two years of full time education, no matter who that person is. We are bashing the position, not the person. Although, plenty of them earn personal criticism too.

For the people higher up..I think some of them just need to stop and think once in awhile. As the saying goes; Paramedics save lives..EMT's save Paramedics. Hope I didn't piss anyone off.

You didn't piss me off. You just really didn't say anything that is particularly valid. Come back after a couple of years being a medic. A professional, full-time, paid paramedic with a degree. Then read over your posts from today and laugh at your former silliness.

Till then, why don't you tell us some stories about all the paramedics you've saved? I could use a good laugh. :lol:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy Crapola Batman, if i hear that saying that emt's save paramedics one more time I'm gonna go postal.

For every emt out there on this site, please please tell me and the entire group here about the medics you have saved.

I'll let Wynter start since Wynter brought it up.

Let's give the tired and completely over-used cliche's a rest here. We're all professionals except for Dust, he's in a league of his own.

Holy Crapola Batman, if i hear that saying that emt's save paramedics one more time I'm gonna go postal.

For every emt out there on this site, please please tell me and the entire group here about the medics you have saved.

I'll let Wynter start since Wynter brought it up.

Let's give the tired and completely over-used cliche's a rest here. We're all professionals except for Dust, he's in a league of his own.

Yep, I have to agree Ruff.

How does an EMT save a paramedic? I consider myself quite a bit more educated, than my EMT-B counterparts and I still don't I have anything to offer a paramedic. About the only good I am for him is freeing him from taking vital signs, and spiking his IV bag.

OKAY, I have to disagree, I was thumbing thru this post. Im Sorry.... I have saved my medic's butt so many times because he didn't catch something during report. I even take report for my medic. We work as a team and at ALL times he treats me as an equal. He teaches me what I don't know and I teach him things he doesn't know.

Back on Topic, Some people volly because they do it for the greater good of their rural area. Out of the goodness of their heart. Why can't that be a good thing? I read all this and feel that just because someone volunteers to do something good for their community doesn't mean it is bad. But I do agree that small communities should push for paid. Govt gets what Govt wants... Better service is what we are striving for, not cutting down every service except the one you work for. Everyone has flaws, every sevice has flaws.

For the greater good of the EMS community, we all should be paid and paid well, but reality smacks you in the face... It won't happen any time soon.

Just because I like the tangent this thread is taking.....I am going to play devil's advocate.

Jeni, you did not answer the question. You gave a very vague response.

Please, anyone, provide specific examples so we may learn from it and be proven wrong.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I can think of some examples.

The thing is that any example given is going to show justification of having a PARTNER, not necessarily having an EMT partner. Any example given will be something a paramedic partner should have saved his paramedic partner from as well.

In fact, a good paramedic partner would save his paramedic more often than an EMT would, because not only does he know all BLS stuff but also all ALS stuff.

Be careful when you hear a cliche line like that and analyze it yourself. Put everything through your own logical filter before adopting it. The line is fun to kid around with your medic with, but NOT to use in an actual serious discussion.

Do you ever work on the ambulance alone? Cover overtime shifts? Give an extra hand for coverage?

You just lost someones wages right there.

If we had an 8 hour overtime shift in dispatch, and someone said "Hey, I'll come in and work for you guys for free, I know the job" Damn right I would be pissed off. Thats about 160 dollars that "good samaritan" lost me. No I'm not doing the job just for the money. Yes, I have to be able to pay bills and eat.

--- Brentoli

If you would have read what I put...I basically ride as an extra pair of hands on the already staffed PAID ALS service. I don't take their shifts, I don't work the ambulance alone, or give extra hands for coverage if they are short. I ask the person who does the scheduling (he is also in charge of saying yes or no to riders) if I can get some time in for experience. (They are already fully staffed by the time I ask)So I am not taking anyones job away from them since I don't even work for the service. As a side note, this service only hires paramedics and runs dual paramedics...so I would not even be able to cover shifts, or work the ambulance alone if I wanted to. I would not do it for free even if I could, cause I too would be pissed if someone did my current job for free and I didn't get the shifts they worked for free. Hope that answers your questions.

AMESEMT

P.S. Sorry for the late post but I have been busy lately with visiting a paramedic program, current schooling, and work.

[sup:def1a7c8b0]OKAY, I have to disagree, I was thumbing thru this post. Im Sorry.... I have saved my medic's butt so many times because he didn't catch something during report. I even take report for my medic. We work as a team and at ALL times he treats me as an equal. He teaches me what I don't know and I teach him things he doesn't know.[/sup:def1a7c8b0]

LOL.GIF

Now, I've heard everything. I agree that a partner should be treated as a part of the team as often as possible. But, in this case there is definately a refusal of acceptance to one's limitations. You may be able to teach "your" medic something he does not know, but let me assure you that it can not be anything concerning patient care issues. At this point, "your" paramedic is spoiling you to the degree, that in your mind you feel you are already to the paramedic level, and feel no need for furthering yourself and your career to obtaining the paramedic credentials. If my hunch is correct, you are living in a fantasy world, that can only lead to a patient suffering the benefits and experience of a "REAL" Paramedic. Please do not take my commentary as insulting. Anyone here that has come to know me will tell you that I am anything but insulting or critical of choices people make. However, you unfortunately need to be brought back to reality and a functional state of mind.

actually Risky, the big question to the poster is how many times has she as an emt saved her paramedic partner?

If it's as many times as she alludes to then her medic must be an idiot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.