Which is better?

ffchic45

I have been trying to decide which kind of ems provider to work for, and all will pay for my EMT class when i turn 19. Is it better to work for a hospital, a private ambulance service, or a fire station? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

This would be ENTIRELY dependant upon exactly where you live and what options are available. Many places, you have no choice. Only one agency (or type of agency) runs the EMS in most areas. Whether it is private, hospital, or fire based, if you want to work EMS, that is who you work for. Or you move.

If you want to tell us exactly where you are, maybe somebody here is familiar enough with your area to give you some insight. But there are no generalisations that we can give you that would be particularly helpful to you, other than that agencies that are focused solely on medical care (as in NOT a fire department) will generally produce a better service.

One other generalisation... there is very little market for 19 year old EMTs in EMS. Most employers cannot employ them due to vehicular insurance regulations. Consequently, the choice will probably be made for you. The only job you're likely to get most places is on a non-emergency transfer ambulance that has nothing to do with EMS.

have been trying to decide which kind of ems provider to work for, and all will pay for my EMT class when i turn 19. Is it better to work for a hospital, a private ambulance service, or a fire station? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The Fire Station for sure, everbody knows Fire based systems are the King of EMS

I agree with spenac, Go for a degree while your still young. If you like the medical profession there are all sorts of grants for health care professionals. It would be an asset to have the EMT or paramedic back ground and knowledge but don't stop there. Go all out while you can.

Absolutely. It is WAY easier to do when you are still fresh out of high school and in educational mode than when you are living on your own and solidly in bill-paying mode. If you don't take advantage of this timing, you will seriously kick yourself for decades to come down the line. And if you hit 21 years old with a paramedic degree already behind you, you will be in a position to take your pick of employers, not just take whatever you can get. Taking what you can get at 19 with nothing but an EMT card will result in a lot of job dissatisfaction and bad habits that will hurt you and probably result in an early departure from the field.

Build a foundation first with serious education. During that time, you will have enough first hand exposure to other medics to know exactly what type of practice you want to choose, and you'll be ready to make that choice. And you'll be light years ahead of almost every other 21 year old in the field. Until then, don't even tax your mind thinking about it.

Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.