Inter-facility transports

brentoli

Is this a job for EMS? Pick up the little old lady at the hospital, take her to her doctors office, then back to the nursing home. Ect., ect,. ect.? What qualifications do you need for that type of job? Equipment? What about the long cross-state transfers?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If patient needs no medical interventions enroute to any location, they should not be in an ambulance. IMHO most ambulance services that do that type of work do so because it is so easy to defraud the government. These patients could be safely transported by a taxi, but based on some comments, taxi drivers are all some people on here are anyway.

If patient needs no medical interventions enroute to any location, they should not be in an ambulance. IMHO most ambulance services that do that type of work do so because it is so easy to defraud the government. These patients could be safely transported by a taxi, but based on some comments, taxi drivers are all some people on here are anyway.

A doctor decides that the patient needs to go by ambulance, they're going by ambulance. You're going to stick Grandma who just had her hip replaced into a cab because she doesn't need interventions but does need careful handling and positioning?

What a heart you've got. So glad you're in EMS.

Hey here's a novel concept - - just go where you are told to go, when you are told to go there and do what needs to be done, even if sometimes it is just to hold a hand or to hold your mouth closed and stop whining. . .

if you want to be the manager, supervisor or medical director, go get the credentials (or Time on grade) to do the job, otherwise, , quityerbitchin

A doctor decides that the patient needs to go by ambulance, they're going by ambulance. You're going to stick Grandma who just had her hip replaced into a cab because she doesn't need interventions but does need careful handling and positioning?

What a heart you've got. So glad you're in EMS.

Why can a community van not pick up this lady, why take an emergency vehichle out of service for this. She hopefully has home healthcare, or is in nursing home.

CBEMT I am very caring. If you or your family were hurt or ill you would be glad to have me there. I have shed many a tear with patients and or family members that I have told there is no more can be done. But EMS is EMERGENCY, it is not TMS, TAXI and Medical Services. Sorry there are other options that would work and be much cheaper to the tax payers that foot the bill for most of these calls.

Hey here's a novel concept - - just go where you are told to go, when you are told to go there and do what needs to be done, even if sometimes it is just to hold a hand or to hold your mouth closed and stop whining. . .

if you want to be the manager, supervisor or medical director, go get the credentials (or Time on grade) to do the job, otherwise, , quityerbitchin

I'm glad this entire post went over your head. This has obviously spun off of a couple of other discussions on this topic. Its not a question on going where we are told, or who is the supervisor. It is a question of is it an appropriate use of resources, and are we qualified to do it.

Thanks.

It is, and continues to be, whining. Most EMT's (you are perhaps the exception) are qualified to provide trasportation to the ill and injured. EMS is, and hopefully always will be, about care of the ill and inujured. there are PATIENTS that cannot sit up or be SAFELY transported in a vehicle other than an ambulance. Do I seems impatinet with this conversation, it is because I am tired of folks whining about doing all the components of the job; "I don't wanna go on { } fill in the blank." or perhaps, "I didn't go to school and get hired to wipe butts!" The news is it goes with the job, now stop whining and try doing it.

What about long distance transfers? They too are part of the job, perhaps your hiring agreement excluded those calls that cause you to be put out of your comfort zone. I doubt that, so stop whining and start doing all the pieces of the job. Scheesh!

Wow.

So how does a transport from a hospital to a nursing home qualify as an EMERGENCY MEDICAL NEED?

And for your information, I do not work for a service that does any interfacility transports. My part time job is on a 911 only ambulance. This isn't a question about getting us out of work. This is a question of qualifications. How is an EMT more qualified to transport grandma, when a CNA or LPN does the things day in and day out, and can probably take better care of their specific needs, such as diapers, catheters, sores and ect.

It is, and continues to be, whining. Scheesh!

Well since you insist on not reading the question, thank you for the waste of space. Sheesh. Clearly he says patients that just need rides. You are what I have been griping about. You have gotten the darn taxi driver mentality. If a person has an Emergency, they need the ambulance. Very few of the non emergency transfers that are done even remotely need an ambulance. There are vans available to transport the bed ridden. There are taxis that can get granny to the doc and back for a check up. As I see fire in your name I give your opinion even less credit than everyone elses posts. Have a nice night fire taxi driver.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.