lack of camradarie?!

swedbabe2002

I might just be ignorent, but isn't there supposed to be some camradarie among EMS personnel? The service I am currently doing my training with has none! The medics all backstab and bitch about each other. Some of the medics are just a-holes in general. This is my first experience in EMS and it is starting to make me reconsider my career choice. This service provides a wide variety of training from CPR to a paramedic program. I'm not sure they should be training paramedics. There have been several times when a student has done something wrong, whether it be sitting in a chair at post reserved only for the paramedics or failure to do a thorough assessment. Instead of discussing it with the student they will email or talk with the program instructors and the entire class will get yelled at. I'm sorry but if your training a student isn't it your job to tell them what they are doing wrong and discuss it with them? Please tell me this isn't how all paramedics act? I think it is setting a bad example for all of the students going through this program.

I had the opposite. I had a great time doing clinicals during school, everyone was overly helpful, etc. Then I began to work and saw this wonderful world of shit stirring and backstabbing. I love being a paramedic, the patients, etc but can't stand the working environment. I to have reconsidered what i'm actually doing. But like so many others, I am using this as a stepping stone and furthering my education. I am sorry you're having a rough time.

Yes and no. Yes, some people in EMS tend to bitch a lot and I mean a lot. These people also tend to take their frustrations out on students. Some even have the attitude that they should not have to be teaching only observing. This is probably why, in my opinion, they are bitching to the instructors instead of talking one on one with the student. These type of Medics should not be precepting anyone.

No not everyone in EMS is like that, most of us are open to questions and love to teach. Do not judge all of EMS based on the attitude of some people at one service. Also keep in mind you are an outsider to them so you probably will not be "part of the team."

Peace,

Marty

I'm going to tell you that all paramedics do not act in which you describe above. My preceptors have been nothing less than stellar. If I do something wrong, they will let my know after the call, and discuss it rationally, explaining what they may have done differently, or another way to do things.

I'm sorry your clinical experience sucks. I'm guessing you have already discussed this with your instructor. He/she should approach the squad and let them know of your classes concerns. If you can't get the satisfaction you desire, then contact your college administrator. You are a student there to learn. If these dick heads don't want to precept, then find another squad.

Don't quit because of them. They are most likely burn-outs who want to give you a hard time because they received a hard time back in the day :roll: . Times have changed, unfortunately, they haven't.

Good luck.

I Work for one company and Volly with another. The company that I work for is what most would call the evil empire or what I call AMR. THey have a great camaraderie and we work great together. If we have had arough shift then we will go to someones house and forget about it. We all help each other out even if there is not a chance of payment or anything like that and I am talking out of work.

On the flip side the company that I volly for is the exact opposite they all back stab and the sups bitch over the smallest things.

This is a sad but true reality. There are those exceptions where the entire agency is dedicated, "friend worthy" professionals. But, unfortunately alot of times you are gonna find the bitching and backstabbing anywhere you go. I too have seen alot of it, and it does seem more active within EMS. I wish I could give you an answer. All I can say, is that backstabbers are those that are too ignorant to conduct a face to face insult. Just try to look over as much as you can, get your medic, and then move on. No, all of us medics do not act like the obviously know-it-all paragods, that you are being subjected to. They must have got their a** kicked alot in high school. :wink:

It's a job.. short and simple. Some will have good days and some will never bitch and gripe and some will always complain. I have seen in nursing, radiology, respiratory therapy and yes even physicians of all levels.

Not that it is right, it's part of life in any business. Chalk it up for experience and don't be like them.

R/r 911