Basics and Intermediates ONLY No more BLS 911 ambulances?

spenac

I really just skimmed over the thread, but if you want to make 911 all ALS level, and at the same time preach in other threads that Basics should gain some experience before going on for intermediate or medic (such experience you don't get working transport), then where do you suggest these noobs to go to for the said experience? The way I'm reading this is going all ALS even takes away the limited experience and training (unless you actually have a really good preceptor) that volunteering provides.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really just skimmed over the thread, but if you want to make 911 all ALS level, and at the same time preach in other threads that Basics should gain some experience before going on for intermediate or medic (such experience you don't get working transport), then where do you suggest these noobs to go to for the said experience? The way I'm reading this is going all ALS even takes away the limited experience and training (unless you actually have a really good preceptor) that volunteering provides.

I've always said go straight to Paramedic. The experience I got as a basic and an intermediate will honestly be of no real value. If I had gone straight to paramedic I could have gotten my experience with some education to help me. Less stressful for me, better for the patient. If all went paramedic, you could start the new paramedic as a third rider which any new EMS person of any level should be. Then keep them on with an experienced partner. After a while they to are experienced and can help another new paramedic. Why go through that step 3 times, just go straight to paramedic. The above was brought out by myself and others more than once during this topic.

Yeah, maybe I missed something too, but I don't recall anybody at the City who believes in all-ALS EMS that also recommends experience for EMTs. That would definitely be a contradiction. I certainly didn't say it. If somebody did, let us know who so we can vote him or her off the island.

As far a tiered system goes I am sorry but I think it is stupid. Too many times on these boards I have seen tier system Basics try to justify it by listing what they consider BLS. Too many times I have seen S/S that could be ALS problems, S/S Basics do not have the education to recognize and therefore endanger patients. I have had hiccups caused by MI's, I have had nausea caused by bigeminal PVC's secondary to a congenital heart condition.

So now we're designing EMS systems based on anecdotes. So much for EBM.

I also can't help notice some of the large ego's here. That attitude tends to create a situation where someone might believe they can handle situations they can't. Large ego=dead patient.

Oh, there are VERY large egos here, but the vast majority of them don't belong to Basics, I assure you.

Oh, there are VERY large egos here, but the vast majority of them don't belong to Basics, I assure you.

Oh, how I hope you are still here after you become a paramedic! :lol:

Saying that an EMT level of training doesn't allow one to be able to properly decide if ALS is needed isn't a result of large ego. It's a medic's job and an EMT's job to promote the best patient care regardless if it hurts or damages their ego. Detach from who is saying it and how it's being said...and the logi will still stand

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.