Basics and Intermediates ONLY No more BLS 911 ambulances?

spenac

In jurisdictions where EMS is not able to refuse that patient, taking an ALS unit out of service to transport said nitwit is the worst abuse of resources for an EMS system that I can think of with the possible exception of cadaver transport. BLS transport is more than indicated.

Seattle has an interesting system in this regard. It's fire-based but it has to be the best fire-based system anywhere, and probably one of the top EMS systems in general (I know Dust doesn't agree, but oh well).

ALS patients go by SFD ALS "Medic One" transport units (their medic school is something of a legend in the area). SFD BLS units will transport life-threatening patients that are closer to the ER than ALS is to the patient, and respond with ALS to assist and drive as needed.

The BLS trucks also respond to the obvious BLS calls. If the patient is not appropriate for ALS and can wait a little bit to get to the hospital (taxi ride), SFD BLS will request an AMR unit to transport the patient. AMR by contract is required to keep x number of units available for nothing but SFD transports at all times.

CBEMT I had to say seems like a waste of resources. Send this truck, maybe have this one enroute just in case, and if complete BS call still another to transport. If all trucks were staffed ALS no need to be sending vehicles all over. EMS is really simple but to many try and complicate it. Simple, why do I say that, cause within a short time on scene you should tell them no or load and go.

Also if all were staffed with educated paramedics maybe more medical directors would feel comfortable allowing your service to deny transport to the I sneezed last week so want to go checked out tonite patients.

So tell them no or load and go.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!! Do ya feel the love :lol:

I work for a private company that is also funded through the taxe payers. We have to transport anyone that calls for a squad. We are also ALS staffed trucks. We do the calls and thats that. If we dont transport , then they dont vote for the levey and we lose our jobs.

I on the other hand Love Volunteers. I started as a volunteer and now Im paid. I am still the President of the group that I volunteered for when I started. Why do I like them so much. Because they are truly here for the right thing. To help others. Not saying that all paid EMS workers are here for the wrong thing..

I on the other hand Love Volunteers. I started as a volunteer and now Im paid. I am still the President of the group that I volunteered for when I started. Why do I like them so much. Because they are truly here for the right thing. To help others. Not saying that all paid EMS workers are here for the wrong thing..

Please search volly or volunteers and you'll find out why no love.

How does that have anything to do with why basics and intermediates should not be on 911 ambulances?

So what your saying is only medic need to be on a 911 truck. So it takes a medic to drive?? Remeber everything comes back to the basics

Have you read the post at all. :roll: Paramedic can assist other Paramedic. Take turns driving, doing paperwork etc. Oh well you now have 3 posts go enjoy chat.

I work for a private company that is also funded through the taxe payers. We have to transport anyone that calls for a squad. We are also ALS staffed trucks. We do the calls and thats that. If we dont transport , then they dont vote for the levey and we lose our jobs.

/me looks back through the thread.

Hmm, I thought I might have missed something when I checked in between classes, but I didn't.

1. How exactly does "denying transport" [not always a bad thing] equate to requiring EMS responders [note: EMS/911 is not the same as "drag granny to dialysis 3 times a week] to have some semblance of education?

2. Same question in terms of volunteers.

3. What exactly is wrong with expecting to be able to pay the bills on time, or do you think that doctors should work for free also to insure that they're in it for the 'right reasons'?

So what your saying is only medic need to be on a 911 truck. So it takes a medic to drive?? Remeber everything comes back to the basics

Yep, because there's only two jobs [driving and providing care on an EMS call, and those are mutually exclusive. :roll:

You do realize that other healthcare and medical professionals with a LOT more education than paramedics still consult and talk to each other regarding care of their patients? If a board certified emergency physician with over a decade of post secondary education and training thinks that he might need to talk to another doctor about a patient, I fail to see how a medic with less than a year of post secondary education can never use a helping hand from time to time.

If a board certified emergency physician with over a decade of post secondary education and training thinks that he might need to talk to another doctor about a patient, I fail to see how a medic with less than a year of post secondary education can never use a helping hand from time to time.

Like.... duh... isn't that like what mediczzzz are about dood? Come on! John Wayne it out buddy, or you ain't cut for it!

:roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.