Basics and Intermediates ONLY No more BLS 911 ambulances?

spenac

I'm going to say NO also. Keep in mind, I work in a system where the job volume is about 70/30 leaning towards BLS.

Oversaturation of ALS increases morbidity. It was shown in a study (Los Angeles I believe), and when you think about it, it's common sense.

Let's say a Paramedic Unit works in an area where they get 50 Intubations a year. Put another MICU up, then the average is down to 25. Add another one, and it lowers to 16.67 a year. Add another, and we're talking maybe 8 a year. I don't feel comfortable with that.

ALS doesn't need to be out on toothaches, simple nausea/vomiting, etc. That being said, it is up to the EMT to find out if it is being caused by an underlying problem which could require ALS intervention.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to say NO also. Keep in mind, I work in a system where the job volume is about 70/30 leaning towards BLS.

Oversaturation of ALS increases morbidity. It was shown in a study (Los Angeles I believe), and when you think about it, it's common sense.

Let's say a Paramedic Unit works in an area where they get 50 Intubations a year. Put another MICU up, then the average is down to 25. Add another one, and it lowers to 16.67 a year. Add another, and we're talking maybe 8 a year. I don't feel comfortable with that.

ALS doesn't need to be out on toothaches, simple nausea/vomiting, etc. That being said, it is up to the EMT to find out if it is being caused by an underlying problem which could require ALS intervention.

Penalty for failing to read, I and B only topic.

Second I don't buy delaying care for an uneducated person to go decide if an upset stomach is just an upset stomach or an MI, then decide do I transport or call for ALS.

We need all paramedics on 911 ambulances period

The wording of the title of the topic did not reflect that only EMTs and EMT-Is should answer.

Suggestion: Put it in the first line of the first thread, like Dust did.

Guess "ONLY" is to big a word for a ghetto paramedic.

I like working dual medic trucks, just as much as the next guy. But, I am a strong opponent against all dual medic trucks! I don't forget where I started my career. I gained street knowledge as a emt, which made me a better medic. I do not want to work with a medic partner that has no experience working a truck.

If you take away that area of experience, then you end up with crap medics. I think it is all up to the medic to make their emt the best they can be. take this person under your wing and teach them the knowledge that you have gained.

All the medics on here that rag on emts, have forgotten where they came from. we all started at the bottom and worked our way up. Do your part for the future of EMS and be a teacher for the future ranks.

And on that note. I don't like career emt's. I believe that we all need to advance our education. Starting off as a emt to gain experience is fine, as long as you are working your way to a medic career.

I like working dual medic trucks, just as much as the next guy. But, I am a strong opponent against all dual medic trucks! I don't forget where I started my career. I gained street knowledge as a emt, which made me a better medic. I do not want to work with a medic partner that has no experience working a truck.

If you take away that area of experience, then you end up with crap medics. I think it is all up to the medic to make their emt the best they can be. take this person under your wing and teach them the knowledge that you have gained.

All the medics on here that rag on emts, have forgotten where they came from. we all started at the bottom and worked our way up. Do your part for the future of EMS and be a teacher for the future ranks.

And on that note. I don't like career emt's. I believe that we all need to advance our education. Starting off as a emt to gain experience is fine, as long as you are working your way to a medic career.

Why not go straight to medic well that was discussed recently another topic.

As far as working with a new paramedic, just take them under wing. To avoid problems companys could establish rules that place the more experienced paramedic in charge till experience is gained.

I havn't forgotten where I come from cause I still am there. I feel that gives me the freedom to say paramedics only on 911 ambulances.

quote]

So you would rather work with an EMT with no experience than a medic with no experience?

Why is experience gained as a basic better than experience gained as a medic?

Just curious...but it seems based on that logic you would prefer a first responder with no experience over a basic or paramedic with no experience?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.