Help with the practical.

Yeah Twinkie, you just have to keep practicing until you realize that you expose additional anatomy by lifting or slight rotation only. Never levering.

Levering is a natural, practiced movement for most of us that have eaten ice cream, flipped pancakes or burgers, pried the top off of a beer, etc. There is (arguably) a muscle memory component that is going to be your default behavior each time you attempt to perform this function without thinking...you need to created a 'disconnect' for this skill and a add new default behavior. This is done through practice. It is the only way that I know of.

Instert, sweep, lift (not lever), insert sweep, lift (not lever), over and over until, when you attempt to lever off the teeth on purpose, it simply feels 'wrong'.

Good luck.

Dwayne

I had a Dr. tell me to sweep left then lift whilst doing clinicals. What he really meant was lift the head with the laryngoscope. I don't know if it helps in practical examination, but it worked for me in the real world. This technique completely eliminates the urge to pry.

• 2 months later...
I passed. Thanks a lot for all of the help.

I am now officially NREMT-P. :lol::lol::lol:

Congratulations! Welcome to the cool kids club! :wink:

You can thank us by sticking around instead of just using us and throwing us away like a used condom.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.