alberta jobs

gerg 68

Good golly that guy (my evil twin) is long winded....OMG!

The really sad part is that In Alberta is huge majority government of Government dictates these levels to the Industrial shows and scares the crap out of them with a little Bill called Due Diligence Laws.

POINT BEING there is 10 times more injuries in the home as compared to Industry and The Alberta Government simply underfunds the vast majority of communities other than major centers, a double standard in my humble opinion. Simply put, the municipalities cannot afford to pay and retain GOOD EMTs and PARAMEDICS with equal wages to Industry, a very sad state of affairs.

Thing Is THEY ARE WORTH IT!

cheers

Sounds good but ouch when it to tax time.......3 wks on 3 wks off or go as a casual on a call basis. Why leave the rock, things are inproving slowly. Bunch of us Nova Scotia CCP'S are turning things around. Say hi to Cory Banks from Sledogg next time u see him.

Isn't that a big contradiction? :?

Sorry Dust should have qualified this.

In Alberta the Alberta College of Paramedics (regulatory body) goes by ACP. It is dumb I know as many assume for good reason it means ACP level of qualification.

General comment:

As for EMR AKA EMT-B being an advanced first aider. Well I look at it as all levels are just progressive increases in scope and skill sets.

EMR's are more than just advanced FA'rs. Their scope is bigger than this. They fill the gap in coverage on industrial sites that would go unfilled otherwise. I think having someone of this level looking out for oil workers is a good thing.

Mainly I see the EMR as an assesment position that should be capable of making the critical call for ALS service quicker than someone with 2 day standard first aid course. Maybe even provide life saving intervention on scene until advanced services arrive.

There are good and bad practitioners at all levels so this argument does not wash with me.

the alternative for the oilfield is no medical coverage . EMT-A's and paramedics also float the oilfield but in lesser numbers.

They are all paid well as they should for the isolation. In an ideal world every pre hospital care job would be a paramedic but this is not the world we live in.

Professional snobbery and territorial pissing irritates me to no end.

Sleep

Sorry Dust should have qualified this.

No worries. My apologies. I -- of all people -- should have realised what you were talking about. But your mention of BC threw me off, believing you were talking about all oilpatch jobs, not just Alberta, so I didn't put two and two together.

I been away from Canadia too long. :oops:

Sounds good but ouch when it to tax time.......3 wks on 3 wks off or go as a casual on a call basis. Why leave the rock, things are inproving slowly. Bunch of us Nova Scotia CCP'S are turning things around. .

There are several NS ACP's making monthly trips to the patch on their own dime for a week or more at a time the money is that good. NS has a loong way to go. Its the reason I left home in the first place. $500 to $800 a day is serious scratch.

Sleep

EMR's are more than just advanced FA'rs. Their scope is bigger than this. They fill the gap in coverage on industrial sites that would go unfilled otherwise. I think having someone of this level looking out for oil workers is a good thing.

Its Not a matter of opinion, it is legislated they can not work if the company does not have a minimum level on site, that's a minimal level again, Did you actually read my previous post ?

The big concern I have is that in most areas in Alberta there is more EMRs per capita of oilworkers than need be, its simple overkill. Put a Clinic in a remote area centralized say like Twin Lakes Road/ Willow Creek road/ say just south of Mariannas lake? Staffed with an RN and a EMT-P and half the # of EMTs (getting rarer) and a bunch of EMRS, strategically deployed to cover not just that "one" company but everyone in the area.

This concept is an absolute total win win for the workers and if done right could hugely lower costs to the Oil companies AND provide Superior CARE for all, with a decent pharmacy so that "buddy" doesn't have to travel 12 hours round trip for 10 bucks worth of anti biotics for a bad tooth, (ps or wait in the already overcrowded ER waiting room for hours)

As for EMRs having a larger scope of practice than a OFA level 3 could you be more specfic ? Perhaps an example or 2 where an EMR has a broader capabilities or scope ? After all, come on, man it is just an 80 hour course.

There is no professional snobbery here just facts and legal regs, I am hoping once again a level that believes with this extensive education can evaluate whether or not ALS is required. A point in passing I an treating more and more "medical" and a mixed bag of COPD, cardiac history with a super imposed pnemonia these are complex patients. and current regulations like in your MTC is set up for trauma only (hell the OH+S doesn't even require a cot to sit someone up) the demographic of the oilfield worker is changing ... cause the boys are getting older, so lets not get silly please, this is the Canadian forum.

cheers

Yea I hope that those CCPs from NS are registered out here, if there not they stand serious risk of legal action, that said: We have lots to learn from the community outreach concept that appears to be gaining excellent momentum out east.

In closing I agree one can not take a Paramedic off the streets of Cow Town, and expect them to provide remote care ... its just not in their education process, offshore and remote are very specalised areas.

No worries. My apologies. I -- of all people -- should have realised what you were talking about. But your mention of BC threw me off, believing you were talking about all oilpatch jobs, not just Alberta, so I didn't put two and two together.

I been away from Canadia too long. :oops:

Here is an EXCELLENT example of where ACoP falls on its face, the barriers are super difficult for dust devil, to register, sometimes I think a lobotomy would help 8) It so gets MY goat that we can not just kidnap ... ok thats stretching it, so not a kid lol, Import his ass up and his dodge pick me up truck up here! :shock:

Whats your opinion on the independently operated Clinic concept, oh man of dirt/dust/ sand :twisted:

If we could only learn him to spell Kanada correctly we would be off to the submarine races !

cheers

ps hide the women NOW! :oops:

The big concern I have is that in most areas in Alberta there is more EMRs per capita of oilworkers than need be, its simple overkill. Put a Clinic in a remote area centralized say like Twin Lakes Road/ Willow Creek road/ say just south of Mariannas lake? Staffed with an RN and a EMT-P and half the # of EMTs (getting rarer) and a bunch of EMRS, strategically deployed to cover not just that "one" company but everyone in the area.

As for EMRs having a larger scope of practice than a OFA level 3 could you be more specfic ? Perhaps an example or 2 where an EMR has a broader capabilities or scope ? After all, come on, man it is just an 80 hour course.

There is no professional snobbery here just facts and legal regs, I am hoping once again a level that believes with this extensive education can evaluate whether or not ALS is required. A point in passing I an treating more and more "medical" and a mixed bag of COPD, cardiac history with a super imposed pnemonia these are complex patients. and current regulations like in your MTC is set up for trauma only (hell the OH+S doesn't even require a cot to sit someone up) the demographic of the oilfield worker is changing ... cause the boys are getting older, so lets not get silly please, this is the Canadian forum.

Great ideas no argument here.

I never said an EMR has a greater scope than OFA 3.

With a centralized system you still do not have boots on the ground ON SITE providing possible life saving BLS skills to a trauma patient within an EMR scope of practice.

All the ALS in the world will do little when the critical treatment window is 10 mins and ALS is 11 mins away. The variance between a standard first aider and an EMT-B level trained provider "could" be all the difference needed until ALS arrives on scene. Its not a perfect system by any means.

In my opinion the more remote the more important it is to have advanced first aiders on scene to bridge the time and service gap to ALS. Its better to have some medical coverage in many places with less scope than to have ALS only in very short numbers. The economics wont allow it. This is currently the case in the patch. Sure its best to have ACP's at every job site with full scope and toys but its not going to happen. EMR's while limited in scope can, have and do provide a potential life saving level of service a mere 80 hr course or not. One that cannot be provided by a standard first aider alone. That said many times its the fellow patch workers that have provided the aid needed to plug the drain temporarily with their standard FA course.

Pre hospital care starts with the first aider, we all forget this from time to time.

As for patch medicine out of scope, sure most issues cannot be dealt with an EMR level of training. This goes for paramedics as well as its definitive care in most instances. Medical control can and is contacted for some of these cases as thats why its there. Some older patch workers have major health issues that do need to be attended to and to be frank many patch workers have no business being there medically. Until every rig has a paramedic on scene its a roll up of skill sets that makes the difference.

I think regional medical centers are a great idea for efficiency sake and it may happen eventually.

As for NS ACP's, they are ACoP licenced.

My 2 cents your mileage may vary.

Sleep

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.