In Your Opinion, What Is Holding USA EMS Back?

spenac

unpaid, poorly trained and educated people doing this to satisfy their own ego's

That's not a factual statement, do you have a document that suggests that every volunteer in the US is poorly trained and poorly educated? If not, I don't have anything else to add. You just struck a nerve, throwing that nonsensical garbage around.

You haven't proved anything, just stated your opinion. I don't have a problem w/ that.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with most forums, you ARE presenting non factual data. I suppose there are some unprofessional volunteer services--

There are a number who are staffed by qualified, trained, DEGREED medics who do give a damn and carry forth themselves and their organization as a professional entity. The unfortunate perception of volunteers as some sort of unorganized crackheads is wrong---but it is your problem if you think that is all there are.

EMS as it stands probably won't change--especially when you consider the requirements for increased taxation--there are many more 'important' issues facing the pols and we just are not one of them...

Oh, and to qualify---just because someone is 'giving it away for free and screwing up my career' remember, some people do give freely of their time to receive other benefits related to service to the community. If you choose to pursue this as a career---you should probably have your head examined as it is not now or in the near future going to be a profitable venture-

Whatever-for what its worth---c'est la vie---

Volunteer=unpaid

EMT-B= educated and trained to a bare minimum standard.

Simple really!

WM

Not all volly services are staffed with just basics. I started out as a volly and worked with a couple of the most knowledgable paramedics I have ever met in all the years since. That service actually carried themselves better than many professional services.

The biggest problem I have with volly services is they drag down wages. EMS is not a required service and will not be so as long as people are willing to do it for free. We need to get past this so EMS can advance. We need to see EMS become required which will benefit all citizens nationwide. Once it is required funds will become available that will help all EMS in the USA to advance with education, wages, etc.

Whilst I am aware that there are plenty of people doing a stirling job in volunteer organisations, that wasn't really my point. And whilst we are at it: let me retract my statement that volunteers are poorly trained and educated. This statement would imply that everywhere is the same.

My point is this: EMS, at point of contact with the public in a 911 setting, should be professional ALS. Therefore there are SOME members of the EMS community that are under trained and under-educated to perform the tasks their community expects of them.

Is there anyone who still wants to take offence at this statement?

WM

Agree with the poorly trained part.

The good part---at least in my backwards part of the world is we have a forward looking EMS board with a regional presence who has required EMS providers to get the required training, be licensed, and do what is necessary. This includes paid, combination and volunteer. All levels are required to complete the same educational standard in order to be licensed in the state. (you must hold NREMT with required cards--medics must have a degree as of last June)

With that, I do not see what the problem is between who is providing the service, as long as the regulatory body is performing as they should (so far, this is the case).

If you meet the standard, fine--if you do not---Thanks for playing--don't let the screen door hit your behind on the way out.

With that, it at least is a step in the direction we need to go. Trying to make this another 'special interest' does not seem to be what EMS needs to be doing.

Having Standards, Sticking to the Standards and working with other allied health professionals will do the greatest good. Nothing is gonna change overnight.

How's that for turning the dead carcass into complete dust?

All levels are required to complete the same educational standard in order to be licensed in the state. (you must hold NREMT with required cards--medics must have a degree as of last June)

With that, I do not see what the problem is between who is providing the service, as long as the regulatory body is performing as they should (so far, this is the case).

If you meet the standard, fine--if you do not---Thanks for playing--don't let the screen door hit your behind on the way out.

Beautiful. Nice to know that another state has got off their ass and done a little something to move forward. Now if we could just improve it from 3 out of 50 states to 50 out of 50...

Part of the problem that I have with volunteers (and specifically volunteer medics) is their experience level. With basic's I've learned not to have much in the way of expectations, and honestly, with what they can do that doesn't bother a whole lot anymore. But with paramedics...unless they work professionally somewhere, the thought of someone providing ALS care to a patient at the paramedic level when they see maybe MAYBE 100 patients a year scares me. And I have seen what can happen when you have someone like that around...not pretty in any way, shape, or form. Increasing the educational standards is great, but if you haven't had to perform any advanced skills or critical thinking for 2 months and are suddenly faced with someone having a true emergency...not good. People tend to forget things if they aren't doing it fairly regularly.

That's not a factual statement, do you have a document that suggests that every volunteer in the US is poorly trained and poorly educated? If not, I don't have anything else to add.

Good, because to this point, you FAIL.

Anytime you accuse somebody of saying "every" or "always", when they never said that, you completely invalidate anything you contribute to the discussion. Now, you want to accuse him of being unfactual? Check your own facts before you start tossing stones.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.