GPS Navigaors

iadybug423

Hello again everyone,

I am researching some GPS hand held navigators and was wondering if anyone here uses them, if so what brand, do you like it etc.,?

I am curious of the difference between that and reading a map. Are they helpful?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on title thought there was some new style of GPS. :wink:

In a rural setting GPS is great, never tried with navigation, but it might have trouble when address is white house past the dead cactus, right after the curve with the barking dog. The complete system like Garmin in a city might be great to find your patients, where you can enter street and number.

Sorry not more help.

I have A GPS locater in the seat next to me. She usually reads the map and bitches about the way I drive.

:lol::D

Peace,

Marty

Sounds broken you might need a new one with a mute button. :lol:

Now back on topic. There are cheap to high dollar versions. I do not know a lot about them.

A few questions. How many ambulances? Will it be used all the time or occasionally? Are you wanting to use it to track your ambulances locations? In other words maybe more info will help someone answer you better.

Hello again everyone,

I am researching some GPS hand held navigators and was wondering if anyone here uses them, if so what brand, do you like it etc.,?

I am curious of the difference between that and reading a map. Are they helpful?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I use a Garmin eTrex Legend. It's the one with black and white screen and I would prefer the color. Color shows up better in most conditions.

I'm not sure what you mean by the difference between it and a map. You really do need to know how to use a map, as well as know how to use a compass. This model has a map screen... if that helps you - also a compass screen.

I use mine mostly on Searches. When we have our subject's coordinates (and they remain stationary) it is ideal. It'll take us right to the spot if satellite coverage is decent. Sometimes out in the woods, the density of the trees will interfere a little.

When the subject's coordinates are unknown, we use it to track areas where we've already searched. That information is uploadable to our Sheriff's department mapping system on the computer.

When my hubby and I are out in the woods, scoping out hunting blinds, I will set waypoints in the desirable places, then come home to upload them to my own mapping software. The topo map gives him a birdseye view of the roads, rivers, lakes and the topography. He usually knows all that anyway... but it's interesting to me.

It's usefulness really depends on what you want to do with it. If you have specific questions, you can pm me.

SARgal

I am unaware what brand GPS the FDNY uses, but I know it is tied into the Computer Assisted Dispatch system, to assist in finding the nearest ambulance, engine, or truck company to an address. I think a soon to be installed upgrade will give turn by turn instructions on getting from where the GPS says you are, to where you are needed, and then, to the nearest appropriate ED.

A week ago prior to this posting, a bunch of NYC "Yellow" (medallion) taxis staged a 2 day work stoppage, as they now have to have a GPS aboard, as per the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission. This GPS is supposed to indicate the taxi's location on the "flag-drop" and the destination, and assist in the taxi being paid by credit card, as opposed to the cash only, previously in use. Start and end point would appear on the receipt. The drivers feel it would be an invasion of their privacy, and would tie them up for the few seconds the printer would need, so that they could be picking up another fare.

"I'm curious of the difference between that and reading a map."

I guess I'm asking a comparison of the GPS to the often big, bulky, paper maps. Aren't these just maps condensed and neater? Are they better or equal to a map. Some I see have "door to door" instructions (GPS).

I am asking for personal use. On a call is it just as easy to type in like map quest. All this new technology and gadgets is confusing at times.

I read some have voice navigation turn by turn instruction and I think that could be helpful.

Just curious.

Thank you for your replys and guidance.

Well, what i described is a handheld GPS receiver. Not a navigator. I have a navigator in my vehicle which is nice for finding an address, not GPs coordinates. I wasn't aware they made these in a handheld version. Although, I guess I can take it off the dash and carry it while it's on...

Yes it has door to door directions. It also will display a map of where you are and highlights the road you must take to your destination. I STILL feel nothing beats a good paper map. Keep one as a backup.

My vehicle navigator is also a Garmin. I find it takes a bit of time to input the address. Maybe it's just me (slowwwwww...). Also, it is only as accurate as the person who submitted the street names to whoever/whatever software it uses. So whatever guy said that "Lighthouse Road" is just down the street from me is completely wrong! LOL But there it is on my Garmin. Human error. (This mistake also shows up on Google Maps, Mapquest, etc...)

Good luck!

SARgal

Ah geeze can't spell anymore. My previous post subject should read Navigators.

There are so many different ones. Tom Tom has some and Garmin has many. I think I could type it (address) in faster than I can find it on a map, especially some streets & directions-Sheesh!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.