Paid Field

emt12resq

ok ok ok from a lot of the replies ive gotten on all my post its come to my attention that people dont quite understand some things. I live in a a smaal town country. The only good paid people around are hours away. I want to work in a big city. But volunteering right now is pretty much all i can do until i get a job in the ems field. I mean im learning and everything. Thats why ill be moving to a city to go school. My fire/rescue company merged two year ago so i run with both.

...I dont want and unfair advantage...

I mean this in the kindest possible way and hope you can take it in the spirit intended.

I commend your attitude on not being privy to an unfair advantage, but right now your writing is causing you a very fair disadvantage...

If it hasn't done so yet, it will hold you back. I know you can do better...

Again...meant as constructive criticism, nothing more.

Dwayne

I have to agree with Dwayne. I was told once that "Good writing and communication skills will get you a good job". I believe that to be true. How you fill out an application, perform during an interview, and answer questions on a pre-employment test, will determine whether you are hired over another person; black, white, male, or female. Most services are looking for a specific type of individual and once they find that person, they really don't care what their race or gender are as long as they can perform the required duties with little effort and independently. I know that it seems as though you may have been treated unfairly, but the reality is this, most services are required to hire personnel over the age of 21 for insurance reasons. This may seem unfair, but it is a reality that I think we all can understand. Just look at what your insurance rates are versus a some one at the age of 21. My advice is to keep looking and find a place to get some experience even if it means volunteering. If you are moving to a larger city, some of these services have an explorer program, maybe they would allow you to ride along and gain experience that way.

I know that it seems as though you may have been treated unfairly, but the reality is this, most services are required to hire personnel over the age of 21 for insurance reasons. This may seem unfair, but it is a reality that I think we all can understand. .

Ok I didnt say I felt like I was treated unfairly here. What i siad is I dont want and unfair ADVANTAGE. Just because Im a female I dont want to get a job just because Im female. If someone if more experienced than me they should get the job. Now that Ive explained myself, like I said this isnt meant to offend anyone I just wanted to know if there is any truth behind it or not.

ok, Yes there is truth behind it and NO there is no truth behind it.

With that said here is my backing that above statement up.

It depends on several factors.

1. Personal bias of the interviewer

2. Personal/professional bias of the company itself

3. Do they follow Affirmative action?

4. How well did you do in the interview or did you even get that far. I'll explain what I mean by that in a minute.

5. How you looked

6. The personal opinions of the interviewer(did they like you or not)

Number 4 explained

What did your application look like? Were there mis-spellings? Was your grammar correct? What did your resume look like? Was there gross grammatical and spelling errors.

Unfortunately like someone else as well as I posted on one of your previous threads, your grammar and spelling here is atrocious. Punctuation and spelling is basically non-existent.

If I was a hiring manager or in the hiring process and your resume and application were written like you are writing on your posts here I'd put your application and resume in the circular file. I may give you an interview but you are not going to be on the top of my list.

I've been in the hiring process before and you would not believe the damage some job seekers do to themselves when they cannot spell simple words and cannot form coherent or grammatically correct sentences. It then directly shows in their speaking and the way they talk.

I'm sincerely hoping that you really work on your grammar and spell check every post and have someone review your resume.

This site is a great site for help and we honestly do want what's best for you but you are your own worst enemy.

I've edited several people's resume's for them on this site and others and I'd be happy to do the same for you. I know what EMS employers are looking for and what they are not looking for. Feel free to take me up on my offer.

Ok ok, here we go again this topic isn't set on me but I'll explain my application process.

1)I filled out the application, on paper, but first I copied the application they sent me in mail and filled it out so I could revise it. I was still in high school at the time applied so I got some of my english teachers to look over the application as well as my resume. It was corrected and then I used the REAL application for my final. That was sent in.

2) I then had to go take my HOBET test. I showed up in business attire, everyone else was in sweats, i felt like and idiot but i got attention from the campany I was appling for.

3) Two weeks later I got a letter in the mail telling me I needed to be at the station at a certain time for my physical exam. Again I showed up in business attire with a change of clothes to taake my exam. the test had to be done in 5 mins., it was series of test, I did it in three. That day i was told I passed.

4) I called to set up my panel interview. It was in the morning, I showed up again in business attire. I showed up and hour early to my interview and was taken in before people who had eariler schedualed appointments than me.

5) Got a letter saying I didnt make it to the next round.

I don't write different anywhere else but when I know its something important I always revise it. I make sure I have the correct spelling , grammer, etc...

ok, great clarification.

So did they tell you why you didn't make it to the next round? Or are you running blind on that?

Sounds like you did a lot right.

It's good that you had someone review the application for you.

My suspicion is that you are too young for that service. My suspicion is that they need someone 21 or older to qualify under their insurance plan.

You more than likely also lost out on the experience part. I am sure that there were more experienced people in the queue than you. Which not being experienced is not a crime but EMS agencies will take someone experienced over someone with scant experience(like yourself) every day of the week.

This is a very good segue to going on and getting your paramedic.

There is no negative effect of working at walmart or flipping burgers while getting your medic class taken care of as well as the other classes dust and myself have suggested.

If I was in your situation, I would go full bore into paramedic class and get myself a paramedic certification or degree and then start your career afresh as a medic. You will find that being fresh out of medic school with no experience will help rather than hinder you in looking for a job because many services will hire a new grad because they have no bad habits to fix. They can train you to their way of doing things.

I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.

ok, great clarification.

So did they tell you why you didn't make it to the next round? Or are you running blind on that?

I'm running blind on that. I've been told I just wasn't what they were looking for. Which I take as I'm too young, I don't have enough experience, I don't have the right certification, or someone else is more qulified. I get it. And for some reason that keeps coming up. Like I said though this topic wasn't meant to be revolved around me. It's a fact or fiction question.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.