nerves

emt12resq

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, forget the EMT-I like Dust was saying. I thought about going that route but was told if you want a medical education (paramedic) EMT-I is not the way to go. With EMT-I (correct me here if I am wrong) you are trained to do things, e.g. push certain drugs if this happens, if A happens do B. Due to them not educating on the mechanics of why and how those drugs work and the need behind them for what they are used for, it is a lot tougher to educate you. That is what I was told by an instructor who teaches paramedic level classes.

Since then, I decided to skip the EMT-I and go straight to the paramedic level.

AMESEMT

Ok I really don't think some people understand. In VA to get to the paramedic level you have to go in steps. I can't just skip EMT-I its not allowed. Its EMT-B, the EMT-E then EMT-I then EMT-P. Just thought I'd throw that out there!

Now for an update. I sat some of the people I get intimidated by down and had a little talk. I explained how i get nervous around them and how I don't like the way they handle situations if I forget something. They then explained to me that when I look at them I gives them the feeling that i don't know what I'm doing. So they jump on and take over. The conversation lasts about two hours on how I could get better and then we went over some steps. I've ran quite a few calls since then and I'm feeling so much more confident. No one has jumped in for me, I've done everything without help, and I just a lot better about everything. I took a lot of advice from all of you. i want to thank you so much. Please keep the advice coming its very helpful.

Now for an update. I sat some of the people I get intimidated by down and had a little talk. I explained how i get nervous around them and how I don't like the way they handle situations if I forget something. They then explained to me that when I look at them I gives them the feeling that i don't know what I'm doing. So they jump on and take over. The conversation lasts about two hours on how I could get better and then we went over some steps. I've ran quite a few calls since then and I'm feeling so much more confident. No one has jumped in for me, I've done everything without help, and I just a lot better about everything. I took a lot of advice from all of you. i want to thank you so much. Please keep the advice coming its very helpful.

Way to go, keep up the good work.

Don't stall at any of the steps required to reach Paramedic.

In VA to get to the paramedic level you have to go in steps. I can't just skip EMT-I its not allowed. Its EMT-B, the EMT-E then EMT-I then EMT-P.

Are you absolutely positive of that? Are you sure this is not just how things work at your school, as opposed to a state policy? They definitely don't make it clear on the Virginia state EMS website, which, by the way, sucks. I'm not saying you don't know what you are talking about. It's just that a LOT of people in EMS -- even people who've been around for awhile -- erroneously believe that the whole EMS world works like their school does, so it's always wise to check with official sources.

Of course, if Virginia is anything like Texas, five calls to the state EMS office will net you five different answers. :roll:

Of course, if Virginia is anything like Texas, five calls to the state EMS office will net you five different answers. :roll:

Dang it. Guess if it was that way in the Dust ages :twisted: , still like that now, it will never change. :D

You need to sit down and ask yourself this question: "In the moment of truth, will I hestitate?"

For example, if someone (a family member or bystander) went into cardiac arrest in front of you & collapsed to the ground, would you stand over them shocked, terrified, and unable to move or think? Or, would you act and do what you are trained to do? You have to have faith in yourself and don't worry about what everyone else thinks of you. Who cares? You are there to help people and make a difference. You are doing a difficult and honourable thing with your life and you should feel good about that.

You'll never get comfortable unless you throw yourself out there and just do it. I used to have severe anxiety attacks when I was in school but when I got into EMS I realized that if I didn't act someone might die and I was better than that. I wasn't going to allow myself to let anyone down. The more calls you run the more comfortable you get with it and the quicker all your knowledge comes to you. Be brave and if your partner(s) starts "taking over" your call and you know you can do the call-- you know you aren't freezing up-- then just look at them and say, "I've got it." Tell them to stand down, you can handle this. Don't be afraid to ask for help but don't be afraid to take action.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.